Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our 6-month old pup, Roscoe, was chewing on one of his favorite toys today about 4:30 pm or so and managed to chew right through part of it. It's a rope ring with four hollow rubber balls on it. Each ball is about 1.5 inches in diameter. I think he swallowed about one third to one half of one ball. The other three balls and the rope ring itself are intact. As far as I can tell, he didn't eat much, but enough to be worrisome. We called the vet and she said to watch for vomiting and diarrhea. If he vomits, she said we should bring him right in (at 8 am tomorrow, Saturday). He seemed fine tonight. Peed about three or four times and pooped once (but I saw no pieces of the chewed up ball)! Right now, he's sound asleep and snoring. We're open to suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
It'll probably pass. Keep a watch on his poop. Throw what's left of that toy away, so as not to repeat the incident. From this point on I'd stick to toys designed for heavy chewers like the hard nylabones and black Kongs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your suggestions. My wife is saying, "you idiot," in the background. Yes, I should have noticed. But was on the phone and he was on the floor right next to me. We will watch his stool. Any idea how long it will take to move through his system?

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Thank you for your suggestions. My wife is saying, "you idiot," in the background. Yes, I should have noticed. But was on the phone and he was on the floor right next to me. We will watch his stool. Any idea how long it will take to move through his system?
It depends, it could be right away or a few days. When Diesel destroyed his Burd & ate half the polyfill stuffing it didn't start coming out until about 2 days later & it continued coming out for the next day or so. Watch for lack of pooping as that could indicate a blockage.

I agree with Cam's suggestion about the Kong, that has got the be the most indestructible toy we've had so far! I've only had to buy him a new one because the first became too small (was a puppy size). It had a few teeth "scratches" but no actual teeth holes & he really goes to town on that thing. Kongs are also awesome to have to stuff treats into as it will keep them busy for a bit. Nylabones don't work as well for us, he goes right for the ends & they are all torn up in about a day.

Oh & watch him like a hawk! It amazed me how quickly Diesel could saw his sharp puppy teeth through a leg of a wooden table while I had my back turned doing dishes or whatever! Check toys EVERYDAY for breaks & tears, Labs are hardcore chewers, we tossed a lot of toys that I thought would last his puppyhood after only a few hours or days of chewing.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Bless your heart! They can do something like this in the blink of an eye.

Angus was once in Kevin's lap while he was on the phone, and ate the belt loop right off his jeans without him noticing. I think I might have called him an idiot then too. LOL But to be fair, I have a t-shirt with a huge hole in the chest. He ate that without me noticing, also while I was wearing it. I saved the t-shirt.

Angus had a blockage when he was about nine months old. Greenie. Definitely stay away from those. His first symptom was loss of appetite. We had him at class and he suddenly wasn't interested in treats. Next it was projectile vomiting. The projectile part is a classic symptom. Followed by listlessness, and of course no bowel movement. Symptoms began within 24 hours.

I have called our vet and the e-vet many times before and since to ask about blockage possibilities, and they always told us to watch for 48 hours. It seems that if there will be a problem, symptoms usually surface in that time frame. Did for us. Meanwhile, watch any poops for evidence of rubber ball.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
What everyone said above, but I will add this.

(1) You know your dogs poop schedule. twice a day, three times a day. whatever. HKs is twice a day, if she would go 24 hours without a poop, she would be in the vets office, e-vet if on the weekend.
(2) The cute, less expensive toys for dogs. Most of these are not meant for Labs, or medium to large dogs. Don't buy them. If you have them, get rid of them.
(3) Balls! I will not let HK play with any ball smaller than a tennis ball. i.e. a racquetball. Too small, small enough that a large dog can swallow it. Tennis balls have to be watched also, some will split in two halves and present an equal danger. I like to use the Chuckit rubber balls. HK loves them and they seem as tough as the material usedin Kongs.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
In the future, I think I'd opt for the bottle of hydrogen peroxide (~30-40 ccs) and get it up/out right away. Good luck.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
I don't recommend letting your dog play with a tennis ball other than for retrieving. The fibres on tennis balls are very abrasive and can prematurely wear down your pup's teeth.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I don't recommend letting your dog play with a tennis ball other than for retrieving. The fibres on tennis balls are very abrasive and can prematurely wear down your pup's teeth.
Absolutely

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks to everyone who offered suggestions. Roscoe seems to be quite well and it's been 48 hours since he ingested part of the blue rubber ball. We saw some flecks of blue rubber in his poop three times yesterday but nothing today. Don't know if he's passed all of it yet. After the fact, my wife suggested that I should have collected all poop and tried to put together the missing pieces! Right now we're hopeful, particularly because he seems fine. No vomiting or lethargy and his appetite is normal. We will continue to be vigilant about this event and will watch him more closely now.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
After the fact, my wife suggested that I should have collected all poop and tried to put together the missing pieces!
Raise your hand if you have tried to reassemble post-digested fragments of a dog toy...

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Raise your hand if you have tried to reassemble post-digested fragments of a dog toy...
*hand raised*
Althought it wasn't a dog toy.
Moka ate her 6 foot long nylon leash....every time she pooped or threw up a piece it went into a Ziploc bag.
It took about 2 weeks before she pooped/threw up all 6 feet of it.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
This thread makes me so,so grateful that I've never had a "swallower". My dogs have chewed up hundreds of toys, pulled out bushels and bushels of stuffing from toys, "daintly" chewed off tiny pieces of hard rubber toys, and countless "squeekers" have met their demise - but no one ever "swallowed" - I am so, so lucky :)

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
This thread makes me so,so grateful that I've never had a "swallower". My dogs have chewed up hundreds of toys, pulled out bushels and bushels of stuffing from toys, "daintly" chewed off tiny pieces of hard rubber toys, and countless "squeekers" have met their demise - but no one ever "swallowed" - I am so, so lucky :)
I feel fairly lucky also...aside from eating her leash, neither of my girls are swallowers either. Moka does eat stuffing sometimes, but she throws it up (comes out in a stuffing tube..it's gross looking) or poops it out. Neither girls are sock eaters (thank God!!)
Java has never eaten anything....knock on wood.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
*hand raised*
Althought it wasn't a dog toy.
Moka ate her 6 foot long nylon leash....every time she pooped or threw up a piece it went into a Ziploc bag.
It took about 2 weeks before she pooped/threw up all 6 feet of it.
Two weeks! Yikes. Nice to know you got all six feet of it though.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Two weeks! Yikes. Nice to know you got all six feet of it though.
Yup-she was still throwing up pieces of leash at 2 weeks.
So, don't be surprised if you see pieces of the ball in a week or so.

I don't know what possessed her to eat her leash. Thankfully she ate it in pieces and not all in one big piece.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts