Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an 8 week old chocolate lab and I was just curious to what I should expect. Whenever he plays with other dogs he gets very aggressive and growls and bites, I am not sure if it is to be mean or play but I defiantly have to stop him some times. Any suggestion? Should I be worried? Please Help!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Without actually seeing the behaviour, the pup is being a pup. The dogs he is 'picking' on should eventual put him in his place. Its part of the socialization process.

What should you expect? Everything! All kinds of love and fun. All kinds of scratches from those nails and razor sharp puppy teeth. Lots of laughs from the antics and tumbling. Lots of frustration trying to train for that reliable recall. Lots of new friends coming to love your pup. Lots of terror when things in the house are destroyed. A nice friendly, and competent vet to keep the pup healthy. Lots of big vets bills from the vet keeping the pup healthy. Debates on what food to feed the pup and when to switch to adult food. Lots of messes to cleanup when the stomach gets upset. For every minus, there will be many pluses.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Since he is 8 weeks old I assume you have had him only a few days. ?? If you got him at less than 8 weeks old, then he did not spend enough time in the litter with his siblings and may in fact be more mouthy because of it.

Puppies play rough and hard with other dogs and like Ed said, he will be put in his place if he gets really out of line with an adult dog. I would intervene as little as possible as this is a good learning experience for him. Only if he is playing with a toy dog or fragile senior would I be the referee.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Oh and - not that you asked - but at his age he should only be playing with dogs you know for certain have been completely vaccinated. No strange dogs or dog parks yet. He has to be fully vaccinated himself before you bring him to a place where he could contract Parvo which is quite deadly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts