Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The back is also very important. I am seeing a lot of spondylosis and I wonder if letting the dog run and jump as a youngster is contributing to it. I've concentrated on taking care of the hips and elbows, but never thought about the back.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I've often also wondered if there is any info on injurys and dogs out there that are weekend warriors. They sit at home all week doing nothing while owners work and then when the weekend comes they run the hell out of their dogs. I believe there has to be a correlation. I make sure we do something everyday. Supervised free play outside on flat grass is what we do at this point. Since Todd is 9 months, I need it for my sanity! But my corgi will be 12 and he needs to keep moving too. Laura, what are your thoughts?

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've often also wondered if there is any info on injurys and dogs out there that are weekend warriors. They sit at home all week doing nothing while owners work and then when the weekend comes they run the hell out of their dogs. I believe there has to be a correlation. I make sure we do something everyday. Supervised free play outside on flat grass is what we do at this point. Since Todd is 9 months, I need it for my sanity! But my corgi will be 12 and he needs to keep moving too. Laura, what are your thoughts?
I can give you my own observation that I believe supports the weekend warrior theory. As a matter of fact, it was an article in the paper on how baby boomers could no longer be weekend warriors in their later years that made me think it might be part of my girl's limping. She was getting Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM supplements and post a rambunctious play with a much younger dog that saw her start limping and provided a diagnosis post X-ray of arthritis in her right shoulder she was also getting Cartrophen Vet injections. The CV worked a treat but I decided to make her exercise more evenly balanced throughout the week. No more one hour outings off leash in the bush on weekdays and 2 to four times that on the weekend. I INCREASED her midweek exercise. I made sure one day, usually Wednesday, right in the middle, was two hours. A walk, a bike a ski. Biking was slow and had lots of breaks. It worked. I was able to take her right off the Cartrophen Vet and she held for four years, ages 9 till 12.5 when her back went out. She'd have the odd day of gimpiness and for those once in a blue moon times I gave her aspirin as per my Vet.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Thanks so much Laura. If not for your advice, I could have really screwed Bauer up. I am a runner, and would have started running with him way too early. He is now 5.5, and we run together almost daily. Probably wouldn't be the case without your early advice.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Thank you Laura. Adopting a dog from people who didn't know this and having to deal with HD and joints problems for the last 7 years has been so hard on him.

Garth or Colin can we sticky this somewhere.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
I can give you my own observation that I believe supports the weekend warrior theory. As a matter of fact, it was an article in the paper on how baby boomers could no longer be weekend warriors in their later years that made me think it might be part of my girl's limping. She was getting Glucosamine/Chondrotin/MSM supplements and post a rambunctious play with a much younger dog that saw her start limping and provided a diagnosis post X-ray of arthritis in her right shoulder she was also getting Cartrophen Vet injections. The CV worked a treat but I decided to make her exercise more evenly balanced throughout the week. No more one hour outings off leash in the bush on weekdays and 2 to four times that on the weekend. I INCREASED her midweek exercise. I made sure one day, usually Wednesday, right in the middle, was two hours. A walk, a bike a ski. Biking was slow and had lots of breaks. It worked. I was able to take her right off the Cartrophen Vet and she held for four years, ages 9 till 12.5 when her back went out. She'd have the odd day of gimpiness and for those once in a blue moon times I gave her aspirin as per my Vet.
I am almost sure irregular exercise is partly to blame for the state Erns joints are. Weekend or once a month racing around for 3 hours isn't good. Needs to be balanced no matter if their joints are good or bad. Erns has regular 30 min walks and exercise to help him. I think if they have joint issues you need to give them enough to keep them mobile, but not too much that they are sore.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Great diagram, thanks! Moose is 8 months old now and we only walk him, and still only age appropriate, but my concern is this -- can he be injured when he's choosing his own jack-ass pace running around the yard? Because I cannot control that with him, though I do try to prevent him from being an idiot and jumping off the deck rather than using the stairs. PUPPIES. GEESH!!

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Great diagram, thanks! Moose is 8 months old now and we only walk him, and still only age appropriate, but my concern is this -- can he be injured when he's choosing his own jack-ass pace running around the yard? Because I cannot control that with him, though I do try to prevent him from being an idiot and jumping off the deck rather than using the stairs. PUPPIES. GEESH!!
That is a great question. I never stopped Maxx from playing/running at his own pace in our yard. He was always supervised and I allowed him 15- 20 minute play sessions a few times daily up until 12 months. I did not allow him to jump off beds or down the only small set of steps, (4 steps), we have from our deck to the backyard. His exercise has always been age appropriate and consistent. Unfortunately an injury can happen at any age. Hopefully they are much less likely if your puppy is supervised properly.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Every time Ivy has jumped full speed off my bed, it's made me cringe. I always firmly tell her "NO!". I think that's been the hardest thing with her. She only gets on it with a person so I basically started riding everyone in the house to make sure she gets off the right way.

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is excellent information. Thank goodness our breeders also informed us of these guidelines. We allow our pups on all of the beds, couches, cars, truck, boat, etc. We don't allow them to jump in or out of the truck or jump on and off the couch or bed without using the step stool.

Question: At what age (if any) should you start giving your dog glucosamine with chondroitant?

1 - 20 of 61 Posts