Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
An unglamorous title for an unglamorous new trait. In the last week, Lily has developed much more frequent flatulence. Other than that, and the fact that her deposits have been a lot softer (ocassionally loose, but not watery), she has acted completely normally.

She's 7 months old and we upgraded her to Blue Buffalo Large Breed food about a month ago (from Pro Plan Selects). She did pretty well on the transition, but she was regular as clockwork on the the Pro Plan Selects. I switched her because I liked the idea that Blue Buffalo had higher quality meat and no corn, wheat, or soy. She also gets whole (cored & frozen) apples to munch on once or twice a day, but the apple-a-day (and/or a carrot now and then) have been going on for several months.)

Like any mammal, she always passed gas now and then - but this last week she's more productive than a frat boy after Taco Bell. :eek: Could it be the food - if so, why the 3-4 week delay in reaction after the full switch? (The switch was gradual, as recommended).

I'm not all that worried, but like most 7-month-old labs, I suspect she'll eat any food I put in front of her. I prefer a high quality food and really hate the lousy non-human grade "meat" being used in a lot of the most common foods out there. I suppose I'd rather have short term fruitiness than the potential long term effects of eating food with horrible ingredients.

I appreciate any insightful input ... and so does Lily!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One more thing that may or may not be of consequence - when she patrols the backyard, she will eat a fallen leaf (or 3). As we progress into fall, her opportunities for that will increase (she especially loves chasing the wind-blown leaves). I'm guessing this is mostly harmless, but suppose it could potentially affect her gut.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Like any mammal, she always passed gas now and then - but this last week she's more productive than a frat boy after Taco Bell. :eek:
LOL!!! Bravo on the humorously descriptive prose!

I'd cut the apples way, way back. They (and carrots) are a lot of roughage which may be causing the looseness. Plus that is a lot of sugar in her diet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts