Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum.
My newest family member Reese a chocolate lab of 10 weeks is learning to bark and growl during play with my Dachshund. Is this normal?
Does anyone have any sugestions to nip this behavior or should I just let it go? We are scheduled for a pupopy class next week with 6 other puppies. I don't want to be the annoying person with the puppy barking all the time :scare:

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
He's just excited. I would not worry about it. As part of his obedience training you will learn how to teach him to focus on you and work on some self control exercises.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Sharon, I can't wait until the class, just in the last couple of weeks she has learned to sit,down,shake, and come when called. She picks up on things very easily. I'm very excited about having her in the family.

Thanks again for the reply

Tom

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
My 4 year old lab does this all the time, personaly i really wouldn't discourage it (but that is just me) - telling a dog not to growl/bark during play is kinda like telling children not to laugh/talk during playtime! Plus - i'd be curious how one would go about training this (if you say "no" they think you mean "don't play" not "don't bark").

in flyball we encourage owners to tug/play with their dog until we hear the dog bark/growl (mostly growl) as that is the sign they are really into the game and are enjoying it (thus it is a reward - which is the point of the tug)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
a 10 week old puppy growling and barking during play? awwww sssooo cute! I would never discourage that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm used to it now and do think its actually funny and cute. I just was concerned that it would turn into more and more barking. So far she is great and the barking and growling is pretty much during play so all is great ;)

sarah said:
a 10 week old puppy growling and barking during play? awwww sssooo cute! I would never discourage that.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
wingman01 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm used to it now and do think its actually funny and cute. I just was concerned that it would turn into more and more barking. So far she is great and the barking and growling is pretty much during play so all is great ;)

sarah said:
What i ment to say, is that dogs who bark or growl during play, are mostly the dogs who are enthousiastic and easily to train to do: "things" ;)

They are mostly more willing to pleasure her or his boss ;)

If you get what i mean ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts