Just Labradors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We took Ellie on her usual walk around the block this evening. I'm always weary of the house on the corner, where two little white mutts live. The owners let them run wild sometimes. One of the owners was watering his lawn with the front door slightly open. The dogs saw Ellie and came tearing out growling and barking. The owner tried spraying them with the hose, but they kept coming. I was able to pick her up just in time, thank goodness. She is just 13 weeks and hasn't been around other dogs yet. I think I read on this board to pick your puppy up in that type of situation (so they don't become dog aggressive after being bitten), so I'm thankful I knew to do that!

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
why are you out walking her at 13 weeks? She shouldn't be out until she has completed all of her shots.

G

·
Dani said:
why are you out walking her at 13 weeks? She shouldn't be out until she has completed all of her shots.
I don't think we have to attack her...
Sorry about your pup, hope she didn't get scared too bad.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Good for you for thinking so quick. I'm glad the situation didn't escalate and you and your pup are safe.

I would caution as well to avoid situations where your pup can come across other dogs until all the shots are complete including rabies. Luckily pups don't take a lot to tire them out. Romps in the living room or backyard can accomplish it and create a more managable situation with regard to coming across strange dogs.

As soon as all shots are complete I would look into getting your pup some social interaction with other dogs straight away. Try and pick places where you can be reasonably assured bad situations are less likely to occur, such as puppy classes. Dog parks are nice but it's not uncommon to run across aggressive dogs and less than considerate owners.

Good luck with your pup and I'm glad things turned out all right with your scare.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
deific said:
Dani said:
I don't think we have to attack her...
Sorry about your pup, hope she didn't get scared too bad.
I wasn't attacking her. I was asking a question. And it's a legit question.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I understand that many people are against taking their pups out before all shots are finished. I have also read that it is important to get them socialized during this period, but, avoiding dog parks, parks and beaches is best, as that is where the danger for disease is highest. My vet said taking her around our block is fine. So, that is what I've chosen to do.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It certainly is your dog. Not a choice I'd make, but good luck with that.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Depending on the size of the incoming dog, you could actually make things much worse by picking up your dog. Standing in front of your pup and making a loud noise is a better choice and if that doesn't work, I'd go with a swift kick in the charging dogs butt. I definitely discuss this issue with that owner though. Do you have leash laws in your area?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, that is good to know for next time (hopefully there won't be a next time!). She is getting to the point where I won't be able to pick her up soon anyway. I'm not sure the neighbors speak English. I think I am going to call animal control. They have been doing this since we moved here, just over a year ago. I've seen the wife let the dogs out and watch them as they poop on someone else's lawn, and she doesn't pick it up. They have no collars on either. I'm surprised they have not been hit by a car yet.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Glad to hear your puppy is ok! :) I'd avoid that house at all cost. If they let their dogs run around like that who knows if they are properly inoculated or not.

Buck started puppy kindergarten at 12 weeks old. As long as the puppies your puppy is interacting with are also vaccinated and healthy your dog should be ok.

Check with your vet and see if you can start a puppy kindergarten class with Ellie. My vet was ok with so we went ahead and started one.
It's a lot of fun for the puppy and they get to hang out and interact with new and different people and other dogs :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, me too! Yes, that was a big concern about those dogs. I will be avoiding that house.

We are registered for a class that starts on the 19th. I'm really looking forward to that!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Oh excellent!!

Ellie and you will both have a lot of fun! ;D

I know Buck and I did. We liked it so much we just never stopped going to training class after that LOL

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeh, if you keep a pup inside and not let him meet anyone for fear of disease I think you would have some socialization issues. I know some holistic breeders who don't vaccinate at all and their dogs live long healthy lives. I'm not on either extreme but other than avoiding pet stores and dog parks I think a nice slow walk around the block is healthy for the pup mentally. You certainly wouldn't avoid the vets office, and I guarantee that place is worse than the dog park/pet store just like a hospital is one of the most contaminated places around. I guarantee you'll run into parvo at your vets before you run into it walking around your neighborhood.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks labtrouble. Yes, the vets office is not my favorite place to take her. So far I've been able to hold her, but not for long. She weighed in at 22lbs last week at 12 weeks old!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Depends on their schedule, I know some who do 6-8-12 weeks and some who do 7-11-15 ect. There should be 4 weeks in between each one but there are still plenty who do the 6/8 week ones. The last shot is the most important since the earlier shots are much less likely to protect them due to the mother's antibodies still in them. I think the earlier shots give somewhere between 20-50% of the pups immunity depending on what week they get them. The older they get the more likely they are to work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts