Just Labradors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sorry to post again...this is probably my 3rd post on puppy acne in the last year or so. About two months ago I went to the vet after trying for several weeks to clear up Harlees chin on my own. It did not work she was was given antibiotics for a couple of weeks. Her chin was good for a few days then came back WORSE than ever, she has huge boils, its bleeding from playing in the snow, just a terrible mess. Also looks like she is going to start getting sores on her lips. This has been ongoign since she was about 5 mths (she will be two in April) , and now this is the third time shes been on antibiotics for it. Her appt is only Monday night but I called the vet and said I wanted a perscription to get me through the weekend until they see her on Monday.
So, I dont want to have to keep going through this because it must be so painful for her. She uses stainless steel dishes and I wash them often. I am trying to figure out if I should go buy a new food or what else I can possibly do? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated....wiping her chin is not going to do it. Anyone have experience with this and a food change? How would I know if its food, and if I should switch does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks again, im sorry for the long rant but ANY help is appreciated I'm at a loss for what to do.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Try oil of oregano. I used it last year when Baloo got a mild staph infection and it worked like a charm. I put a drop or two in his food and applied it topically as well. :)

I also used coconut oil (virgin, unrefined) topically when Peanut had an oral papilloma, and that worked well too.

What are you feeding her right now? I would try a food switch, really can't hurt.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Kate,

Im feeding Kirkland chicken and rice for the last year or so. Im not sure what to even consider, she is sensitive to food/treats. I will try the Oregeno. Im just not sure what to do anymore all the vets want to do is treat with antibiotics, I want to resolve the issue.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Can you try a holistic vet? A good one of those is worth their weight in gold. ;)

What's she sensitive to? I'd switch to raw, but I'm biased that way. Have you ever tried grain-free?

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Oh, and if you ever feel a cold coming on, take the oil of oregano yourself. It burns like heck, but works! :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking about Orijen but havent tried it yet because I thought she was fine on Kirkland. Im in Moncton and the vets (as discussed here are awful) and I have not heard about any good holistic vets. The new vet that I found though has been the best she has had yet and I am going back on Monday night so maybe they will have some ideas, although I know they will recommend their food (that I wont try). so just trying to see what else I could do or why this keeps happening.

·
Registered
3,082 Posts
Tank has been battling this for 2 years now. On and off antibiotics all the time. I wash his chin every other day with Pyoban shampoo and recently starting putting a product called agricept in some water and patting it on after the shampoo treatment. It is not getting any worse so I think it is helping.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey has had puppy acne on and off since she was a baby. I've found that she does better on grain-free than on anything else.. We've tried a slew of antibiotics, topical treatments, etc and didn't have much luck.

Although I must say that we didn't try either of the things that Kate recommended.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Where are you located? You could try a School/College of VetMed if one is near enough to you. The link below gives locations in the US & Canada and their admission policies:

http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetnet.html

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Remington has had several bouts of this. I swear it is genetic, as his daddy gets it as well. What has worked for me is, as soon as I see the outbreak start, I saturate a cotton ball with hydrogen peroxide and really scrub the skin. It will bleed and the peroxide fizzes. Several days of doing this dries them up quickly. And no, it has not bleached his chin (he's black).

Good luck, I hope you can solve this ongoing issue.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Cybil would get pupppy acne until she was about 2 years old. We used to make sure it was clean and put some doggy safe polysporin type stuff on it (I forget what it was called, but our vet told us to buy it at the human pharmacy -- it might have been children's polysporin, sorry, I'm not much help). It helped tremendously.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts