Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had quite a few people ask me about the reality of puppies being sold in the parking lots up here in Mt. Pleasant. I've shared many of times that dogs are readily sold in the parking lots of WAL-MART here. Well, we did some footage and took some photos and we are going to launch a letter writing campaign to get this stopped. While WAL-MART has stopped allowing this to happen, the Alma, MI store still allows it and the owners of the strip mall, Encore Development have not taken any measures to stop this from happening.

A typical Saturday and Sunday will see a minimum of 2 litters for sale in the parking lot. This past weekend, there were FOUR. Two litters of labs, a litter of golden retrievers, and a litter of what appeared to be lab/husky mixes.

Here is the proof of what we have to endure every weekend. There is a video and some still photos of our outing of just one day. And what usually follows a heafty amount of selling of dogs are owner turn ins and then an outbreak of PARVO at the shelter. This needs to stop.

http://www.cmlrn.com/puppyselling.htm

It'd be nice if you could help us in our campaign against allowing this to happen. There are links available there for contacts.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Dani,

It is funny I sent letters to the owners of Metro Center mall this morning and copied the Mayor of Phoenix complaining about this. There were 6 litters of puppies being sold in a 1/4 mile strip along on of the roads at the mall. It is illegal to sell things on the side of the street without a permit in Phoenix so I think the mayor's office might be my best bet.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
:eek:
that's crazy!!!! I can't say that I've seen that around here but if I did, it would break my heart :(

Did you see anyone actually buy the pups dani?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not while we were there...but my vet has already seen two that were bought there on Saturday.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Have you contacted the local news? These are often the kinds of stories that the local news channels love to pick up as some kind of expose story to run. and may help get some traction.

Heck, in all seriousness, i'd even get in touch with Dateline NBC. and being sold in Walmart parking lots and them not doing anything about it. Everyone loves to beat up on Walmart.

G

·
I've watched the video, and take a look at the picture's, and it is a weird way to buy a dog that way ???

I could not agree with this! :-\

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
Out where I live now (out in the country...yee haw....15 miles from down town Colorado Springs) there are usually people in the Safeway parking lot with 2-3 litters each weekend day. I saw 2 young labs in an xpen...they looked about 16-20 weeks old.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
It really saddens me, but what saddens me even more is the probability that these BYBs will just find somewhere else to go when they are kicked off their current location(s). Its really unfourtunate.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I haven't noticed anything like that around here but I did have someone approach me once at Petco and ask if I wanted a puppy. They had a GSD mix puppy and said they had a littler they were trying to sell.

Dani you are so right in the link that most people do not research the breed they are considering so have no idea what the dog needs to be happy and healthy. I am so glad I did because I think that solved alot of problems so they never even appeared. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...truer words were never spoken.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Felix said:
AmazonGold said:
sending emails
??? ??? ???
It means that she is going to try and write emails to different people in power in order to try and have this practice stopped.

I can't believe that actually happens..... wow.

I mean, you see the odd "available puppies" sign outside some farmhouses, but I have never seen/heard of that (selling in parking lots!) happening around here...

but then again you should see the pets section of the classifieds..... ugh.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts