Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is that right? My sister's new shep/collie mix she rescued (turns out he's about 6 - not 7/8 like originally thought) is having soft stools. She's tried rice. Told her I think canned pumpkin is better. What kind? Can you get it at the supermarket? Is there sugar in it and is that ok? TIA!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Works great. Libby's. Plain pumpkin, not the stuff seasoned for pie. I swear by it. One good dollop on their regular kibble until things are firmed up again.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Paddysmom said:
Works great. Libby's. Plain pumpkin, not the stuff seasoned for pie. I swear by it. One good dollop on their regular kibble until things are firmed up again.
I did not know that...Tal will get loose stool once in awhile. I will have to try some.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Pumpkin works great for that! When our old boy started having trouble, the vet diagnosed him with colitis (this was a few years back, but I think that's what it was) and recommended adding fiber by way of pumpkin...like Paddysmom said, just plain canned pumpkin.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Is it also used to make a dog stop eating there own, or other dogs in the families poop?
Oh how I wish! It has never worked with mine, but it does firm the stools up.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My puppy is having very soft stools again=( I tried pumpkin, not really working for her. Even before this started we gave her pumpkin with her food and she is trying to eat other dogs stools..it's very disturbing. She just started this about 5 days ago (eating other dogs stools)....I'm not sure why!!

Anyone else dog do this?

·
Registered
576 Posts
Is it also used to make a dog stop eating there own, or other dogs in the families poop?
I believe it is pineapple that will make a dog's stools gross enough that even dogs will not it. But if you have multiple dogs, each one must have it so they don't just try dining on the one who isn't eating pineapple ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts