Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since daylight savings has ended (and the clock has gone back an hour) we have had a few issues with Milly puking on occasion in the morning.

She is pretty much fed like clockwork at 7am and 7pm every day. Do you think with the change in the hour that the extra hour she has to wait in the morning is causing it?

The puke is just yellow bile, which tells me her stomach is empty but I am happy to be corrected if that is not the case.

About half the mornings since daylight savings has this happened... a few it didn't happen because I was up early and fed her a 6.30am... if she had been left until 7am I am not sure if the puke would have occured.

The past 3 nights I have given her a small handful of cooked brown rice (out of my dinner) in with her kibble and there was no puke to wake up to. Every time she does puke it's always by the back door ... poor darling so she tries to get outside but can't and we're usually still in bed. So I assume it is happening around the 6am mark. David has woke twice to her hurking next to our bed and rushed her outside and it was also around the 6am mark. Twice he has woken just a tad too late and we've had to clean up more yellow bile.

I can't keep giving her cooked rice in her food can I? Maybe her dinner isn't enough and needs to be increased? This has been so consistent that it's starting to cause a bit of alarm now.

Would appreciate any feedback
thanks in advance!
Cheers, Sarah

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kira's done that a couple of times before, and yes I think it is when she's hungry. If there is more than 12 or so hours between feedings, I can hear Kira's tummy making hungry noises and she will sometimes ask to go outside so she can eat some grass while I get her brekky ready. I don't really get to sleep in anymore now I have a toddler :) but when we did sleep in on a weekend is when Kira would do the hungry-puke. If I was planning a sleep in, I'd give her a couple of bikkies just before bed and that solved the problem.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
The reason the brown rice probably stopped her from vomiting bile is that brown rice takes a long time to digest, and the vomiting bile is usually due to the dog having an empty stomach.

We found that a biscuit or two before bed cured the problem for our oldest male who has the same problem.

Or reserve back a 1/4c of the kibble and feed that before bed.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
She is pretty much fed like clockwork at 7am and 7pm every day. Do you think with the change in the hour that the extra hour she has to wait in the morning is causing it?
Stop feeding her by the clock. Except for mornings when you both have to go to work. I feed mine anywhere between 7-10 pm sometimes later if I'm out late somewhere. It doesn't do them any harm. In fact I find the later I feed them, Holly eats better. She's a PITA eater normally but if I feed her late when she's hungry, she usually eats all her food instead of sitting around looking at it.

Are you feeding her anything different lately to cause the vomiting? :confused:

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stop feeding her by the clock. Except for mornings when you both have to go to work. I feed mine anywhere between 7-10 pm sometimes later if I'm out late somewhere. It doesn't do them any harm. In fact I find the later I feed them, Holly eats better. She's a PITA eater normally but if I feed her late when she's hungry, she usually eats all her food instead of sitting around looking at it.

Are you feeding her anything different lately to cause the vomiting? :confused:
we did switch her to grain free but this was almost 2 months before this started. She does get less quantity of the grain-free but calorie value is almost the same

I will try and give her some of her food a few hours later and see if that helps.

thanks!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Shadow had that problem, and so does Champ - go over 10 hours without food and they throw up bile. What we do is give the boys green beans as a bedtime snack. That way, they sleep a bit later and we don't wake up to the bile puke puddles any more. You could give Milly a bit of her kibble or a biscuit just before bed. Not enough so she has to go potty after, just so there's a little something in her tummy.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Shadow had that problem, and so does Champ - go over 10 hours without food and they throw up bile. What we do is give the boys green beans as a bedtime snack. That way, they sleep a bit later and we don't wake up to the bile puke puddles any more. You could give Milly a bit of her kibble or a biscuit just before bed. Not enough so she has to go potty after, just so there's a little something in her tummy.
We've kept a quarter of her dinner (which still is not much at all on her kibble) and will give it to her before bed. Hopefully this helps.

it's just strange that all of a sudden this is happening. She is almost 16 months old. I just find it a little bizzare!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Oakley gets 2 small biscuits when she comes in from her night time potty trip.
She has had that problem as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts