Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Puff and I walk for an hour every morning in a nature preserve just south and east of the Topeka VA Hospital.

For the last half year, maybe more, we've passed by a person wrapped in a sleeping bag, sleeping on a bench under a tree, his bicycle and guitar case propped next to him.

Puff -- despite my pleas -- has usually barked at this intrusion in the landscape, dismissing that if we see him every morning, it's customary and not an intrusion. Puff refused to accept my logic.

After a bit, I'd call over and apologize and he'd say, "that's fine -- she's a good alarm clock."

He'd call to Puff but she was shy and wouldn't get close enough for him to pet her.

Eventually, I went over and gave him a few pieces of her breakfast kibble to offer her. She'd take them quickly and dart away.

I found out he's a veteran, drawing a pension -- Ron Trussheim, by name. Interesting guy, about 5' 6", shoulder length hair, always wearing some American Indian garb (mocassins, beads).

He was going to bike out to AZ, NM, and CA but the flash flooding delayed his leaving for a few days.

This morning, he called to me from the parking lot -- he was heading out -- and we'd already started our walk.

Puff ran back to say hello (not realizing it was also goodby) -- and gave him a few kisses on his hand.

We both hope he has a good trip; we'll miss our morning chats.

Maybe Puff will bark at the now empty bench.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
What a great story!
Bob Pr. said:
This morning, he called to me from the parking lot -- he was heading out -- and we'd already started our walk.

Puff ran back to say hello (not realizing it was also goodby) -- and gave him a few kisses on his hand.
Puff is so sweet! I hope her friend has a wonderful trip.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Phew! The whole time I was reading that I thought you were going to end it with "he died". :(

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
It's amazing the people we meet because we have labs. It was sweet of Puff to say goodbye.

B

·
0 Posts
What a great story. How sweet of Puff. Hope he has a wonderful ride out west.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Aw, that's very sweet. Puff shook off her shy-girl self for just a moment to send her friend on his way. :)

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
jzgrlduff said:
Phew! The whole time I was reading that I thought you were going to end it with "he died". :(
Me too ! I hope he makes it as far as we wants to go..... must be he's from that area, eh ?

Melissa
;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts