Just Labradors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My puppy is 8 months old and was neutered at around 5 1/2 months old. I am just curious if this has anything to do with him NOT lifting his leg. At 8 months old, I would have expected him to start to lift his leg, but he still squats like a little puppy to pee. Will he ever lift his leg, and if so, when does it usually start?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I think the average is around 9 -12 months, but sometimes even longer...sometimes never, but he probably will- just wait.......even for a nuetered dog.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
My boy was neutered young (before six months) and has never lifted his leg (he's seven now).

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
It's mostly a learned behavior. Rider didn't start lifting until he was about 14 months....and even now at almost 4 years old...only lifts about half of the time.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
My Collie cross Trick was neutered at 6 months. He is now 5 and has only started lifting his leg within the last year or two. It is definitely a learned behavior from my other two boys. He still prefers to squat though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My dog was neutered at 6 months and never started lifting his leg. I think it is a learned behaviour too. Hogan is an "only dog" and he hasn't even tried to lift his leg. A funny story though, my best friend's female chihuahua started lifting her leg after spending a long weekend at her mother's house with her mom's two male unneutered dogs, haha! It looks SO funny, but she only lifts her leg when she pees outside.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts