Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BREAKING NEWS

Updated: 1 hour, 3 minutes ago
LONDON - Britain’s Prince Harry will not be sent to serve in Iraq after military commanders decided it would be too dangerous, Britain’s Ministry of Defense said Wednesday.

“I have decided today that Prince Harry will not be deployed to Iraq,” Gen. Sir Richard Dannatt told reporters.

Harry, 22, the third in line to the throne and a junior officer in the army, had been due to be deployed to Basra, in southern Iraq, with his Blues and Royals regiment in the coming weeks as part of the latest British troop rotation.

He has repeatedly said if they wouldn't let him go, he would quit the military. I wonder how he is taking this news?
I do feel they made this decision in consideration of the other men and women serving with him who would be put at risk.

·
0 Posts
I can't say I'm surprised by the decision. The amount of security that would be needed to ensure his protection would be nothing but a hinderance to his ability to accomplish his mission as a leader. Every nut case in the world would be out to "score" by taking him out.

B

·
0 Posts
Probably the right decision. Can you imagine? It'd be like waving a HUGE red flag in front of a raging bull. Put his own troops in more danger than they'd already be in. Not worth the risk.

I don't blame him for being pissed though. He went through the training to be a military officer, now he is essentially being told he can't do his job because of his name, something he can't control. That's hugely irritating. Once again, he's affected by his parentage. Kid can't catch a break and do something "normal". He wants to serve his country and can't even do that to the best of his ability.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
It's honorable of him, but can't really blame them because it is like what Budgirl said. Waving flag. Sorry for him though.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I'm sure he wanted to but I think its the right decision. The news was saying that they felt that there might be insurgents in with the British military that would sell him out for capture. Its too dangerous for him and the men serving with him.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Thought this would happen. I am sure he would have liked to serve his country but I dread to think about what could happen in a worse case scenario. Not just to him but the others around him.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As a brit..his deployment has made headlines in the papers...but i really do believe that his going to Iraq would endanger the other members of his platoon. At least he is willing to serve his country...don't see William willing to go there!!!

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
It would be selfish and foolish for him to go, he is a political figure... you may as well paint a bullseye on the helmets of his platoon. God for him for wanting to go in the first place. Along with his position of priviledge, comes limitations. He is NOT just like everyone else...this is probably his first taste of being told "no".

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Previously I had read that when the idea of Prince Harry going to Iraq might cause member of his unit to be in danger because he might be a target for kidnapping, the members of his unit had "I'm Harry" t-shirts made. Kudos to those guys and/or gals.

K

·
0 Posts
i'm so happy to hear this. the 'bounty' on his head is too dangerous for all. if he wants to go somewhere, they need to deploy him in complete secrecy. but how in the world would they accomplish that.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Rangermom said:
Previously I had read that when the idea of Prince Harry going to Iraq might cause member of his unit to be in danger because he might be a target for kidnapping, the members of his unit had "I'm Harry" t-shirts made. Kudos to those guys and/or gals.
Awesome show of solidarity, but I would not want my son or daughter serving in a regiment with that tempting a target. I also applaud his courage and dedication, but he can do a lot for his country without risking the lives of others serving with him.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
I'm sorry for him, because I know he must be disappointed, but surely he has to understand what a danger he would be putting himself and his comrades in. I know his platoon has to be relieved.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
2LabsInNEPA said:
I can't say I'm surprised by the decision. The amount of security that would be needed to ensure his protection would be nothing but a hinderance to his ability to accomplish his mission as a leader. Every nut case in the world would be out to "score" by taking him out.
This statement has a lot of truth to it. Yet it also says what is so wrong with this war. Security? In war Security is the military on your side. There is nothing more secure than being embedded with enough troops in war to get the job done. The problem? Not enough forces. We have never had enough forces and still won't. We've lost the political war. All the Democrats are against this war because a. it is Bush's War and/or b. they are fundamentally opposed to war

The Republicans are growing more and more opposed to this war. Problem is not enough had enough backbone to go to Bush, Rumsfeld etc...and demand that we invade Iraq with overwhelming force...to demand a draft if need be to secure the numbers of troops needed.....they didn't pressure the President to fight this war with victory in mind...rather than a minimal military success.

The American people support success. We supported the 1991 war in Kuwait because we kicked ass and Saddam back to Iraq...we did it with very minimal amount of life lost...and we did it quickly. Success is contagious...everyone wanted to claim success in that war...All of Europe, Canada, Saudi Arabia, you name it...success breeds support. Failure breeds opposition. Everyone opposes this war now because it has been a complete mess...a military victory followed by a political defeat....Iraq is now the number one terrorist hot-spot. Terrorists are welcome there and open for business. It is now the perfect place to attack terrorists because so many are there...yet we will pull out sooner rather than later and won't destroy the terrorist networks there...allowing them to be even bigger and stronger than the taliban suppport of terror....and with Iran there to support it also.

But not being able to secure Prince Harry is an indictment that we won the military adventure and completely lost the occupation. We don't have the "security"..i.e. military support to secure one man in a nation filled with street thugs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts