Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
simply leaves me shaking my head.

Here's the story on my comment. East Coast smacked by a huge snowstorm Saturday into Sunday. I am watching the news Saturday night & see how many churches have cancelled Sunday morning services.

Hmmm, wonder if Cardinal Rigali has done the same? Grab my Blackberry to check the Archdiocese website, no such luck. The only thing posted about the weather is "The Cardinal urges extreme caution be used when venturing out to mass on Saturday/Sunday. He suggests you assess road & driving conditions before deciding to go or not." :confused:

I figure okay, maybe they won't make a call until tomorrow AM. Turns out I am scheduled to read at our 8:00 AM mass, so will probably walk if masses are going on as scheduled. Called our rectory to see if I could find anything out... nope, masses occuring as usual.

Get myself dressed & put one foot in front of another until I get to church, still scratching my head as to why they had not cancelled. Well, our wonderful pastor is the celebrant for the 8:00 mass. Practically the first words out of his mouth... "Well it is nice to see you here, but fewer people means the collections will be less & we have to pay to have the parking lot plowed."

My first thought... WTF!! :mad: Definitely not the way to get on my good side.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Our pastor has been here just a little more than 2 years & I can tell you he has not ingratiated himself to much of the parish in any way.

I actually contemplated changing parishes shortly after he got here I was so unhappy. He proceeded to put our parish into debt renovating the interior of our church even though the parishioners were against it.

The only thing that keeps me there... my grandparents (may the Lord rest their souls). She & my grandfather were some of the founding parishioners & she would likely haunt me if I went elsewhere.

Seamus Lab... our current pastor is definitely that way. All about the $$$. The prior ones were not that way. I adored Fr. Devine & Fr. Tallon, while I did not agree with his approach & views on some subjects, I respected him. This one not so much. :(

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
Our pastor has been here just a little more than 2 years & I can tell you he has not ingratiated himself to much of the parish in any way.

I actually contemplated changing parishes shortly after he got here I was so unhappy. He proceeded to put our parish into debt renovating the interior of our church even though the parishioners were against it.

The only thing that keeps me there... my grandparents (may the Lord rest their souls). She & my grandfather were some of the founding parishioners & she would likely haunt me if I went elsewhere.

Seamus Lab... our current pastor is definitely that way. All about the $$$. The prior ones were not that way. I adored Fr. Devine & Fr. Tallon, while I did not agree with his approach & views on some subjects, I respected him. This one not so much. :(
I recall reading about the renovations to your church in the Courier and the parishioners being against it.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Our Pastor is pretty dim, too. And he was just elevated to a MONSIGNOR!!! WhAAAAAA???

OTOH, our resident priests are terrific. We've got a noobie, right out of St Charles Sem, who's great. His first words @ 7:30 Mass:

"I'm glad to see you all here; thank you for making the effort. The Bible tells us 'Where two or three are gathered in My name,.I am there.' So....

"Oh, and if our Music Director had scheduled as an opening hymn 'White Christmas,' I was going to bop him with a hymnal!"

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
"I'm glad to see you all here; thank you for making the effort. The Bible tells us 'Where two or three are gathered in My name,.I am there.' So....
That greeting was very nice! When you have people who have just drug themselves out in bad weather to be at church, DO NOT want to hear you kvetch about the collections being down!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I recall reading about the renovations to your church in the Courier and the parishioners being against it.
Yes, the renos were not very popular with many of the parishioners at all, alienated quite a few life-long parishoners over the renos.

The only ones who were really on board about the changes were the noobies to the parish, who did not understand or care about the history or significance of some of the items he removed from the interior.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
i think that happens in a lot of churches.

lindsay, a huge portion of what my church collects goes to feed the homeless, care for unwed mothers and things like that. yes a lot goes into the church building and the salaries of the people who work the church but they do as much as many charitable organiations do. i can't speak for other churches, although i am sure they do the same.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
i think that happens in a lot of churches.

lindsay, a huge portion of what my church collects goes to feed the homeless, care for unwed mothers and things like that. yes a lot goes into the church building and the salaries of the people who work the church but they do as much as many charitable organiations do. i can't speak for other churches, although i am sure they do the same.
I'm sure there are lots of churches who do wonderful things.

I'm equally sure there are churches that are profit driven. With their "pastors" running around in Armani suits... etc.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
With their "pastors" running around in Armani suits... etc.
Roman Catholic priests' salaries are set and paid by the Archdiocese. Sunday collections do not go toward priest salaries but, rather, to the operating expenses of the church itself. That includes all staff salaries BUT the clergy.

Roman Catholic priests seen in Armani suits, expensive cars, and with vacation homes often have come into these possessions as the result of family monies and inheritances. Just like the laity.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Roman Catholic priests' salaries are set and paid by the Archdiocese. Sunday collections do not go toward priest salaries but, rather, to the operating expenses of the church itself. That includes all staff salaries BUT the clergy.

Roman Catholic priests seen in Armani suits, expensive cars, and with vacation homes often have come into these possessions as the result of family monies and inheritances. Just like the laity.
I often wonder what Jesus would think of the Roman Catholic church.

There are several points I'd make but since this thread is specifically about monetary issues... I wonder what he would think of the pope's "bling", the palace he lives in... and the fortune that they sit upon.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Oh and... my Armani suit comment was more geared towards those crazy televangelists. (yes... I think they are crazy)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I wonder what he would think of the pope's "bling",
The Pope has bling?
*thud*

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
The Pope has MAJOR bling.

And real estate worth zillions.

And Jesus, the very embodiment of God's humility. Would probably weep.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Oh and... my Armani suit comment was more geared towards those crazy televangelists. (yes... I think they are crazy)
you seem to have something against any and everything that has anything to do with christianity no matter what form. i do think we all get that by now.

as far as what jesus would think...thankfully, HE is the only one that ALL of us will have to answer to...not man and not each other.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts