Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We use propane for heat, hot water, and stove/oven. Thankfully, 1 delivery lasts about 5 months since we heat with the 2 woodstoves for the most part, and I use the grill for everything that would go in the oven.

I almost choked when I took the last invoice out of the mailbox last week. $6.51/gallon!!!&@%!#*^@%#*%@#! Times that by 150 gallons and we're looking at almost $1,000! The last delivery we got was $4.30-something per gallon.

So I called them.

The lady said the prices went up significantly in November and December. Gee, ya think? She also advised me that the less usage, the higher price per gallon. Nice. I was able to get them down from $6.51/gallon to $5.85/gallon which does help us out alot.

How much do you pay for propane (or oil) for heat, etc.?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
We paid $2.09/gal for heating oil this year and we got 350 gal. But we use wood and coal as much as we can all winter so the only time we use the oil is a little in the fall and a little in the spring when it's not cold enough for the wood burner. We have a 1000 gal tank that we like to keep full just in case. We figured out last year we only used around 275 gal of oil. We use propane for the stove and we get that filled twice a year for about $60.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$2.09/gallon is cheap!!! Lucky you!!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
We heat, our hot water and stove is Natural gas. Last year it was $4.06 a therm and this year it is $1.60/therm.

Here's how National Grid the energy thieves get us.

My usage for gas was $17.71 (27 therms with some incomprehensible Math juggling going on)the delivery charge was $30.42
My usage for elect.(739 kWh)was $36.50 The delivery charge was $74.86

I paid $105.28 to get $44.21 worth of gas and electric to the house.

I heat 1700 sqft with wood pellets, wood and Nat gas. Wood pellets cost about $100.00 a month during the winter and the firewood is free (I cut and split all summer). If I had a windmill I would tell Nat Grid to go smurf themselves.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Amy, have you looked into one of those things where you can lock in at one price? I always wonder about those - our gas pricing just went down last month - I don't remember what it was but my bill is now $22 less per month - and like Tom, I pay 85% of my bill to have the $12 of gas I actually use, "delivered" to my home. It's crazy.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
All summer I got the "Lock in at this price" offers. each time I got an offer it was slightly less. I finally locked in the fall at $1.69 per gallon from Ferrellgas. A 1/2 tank fill (200 gallons) cost about $365, and it was just delivered a week ago. It should last me until February or March. I use propane for heat, hot water and cooking.

But Yikes! I can not imagine paying that much for propane. I know you can do some bargaining for the price, but that is ridiculous!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't think they'll let us lock in since we always pay late. :eek:

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh no no no, no credit card for me!!
*hex*

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Oh no no no, no credit card for me!!
*hex*
Even if it would make hundreds of dollars difference in the propane price? Actaully I would just need to prepay, so sending a check in a week early would work too.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would do the check. :) I'm going to look into that, thanks!!

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Wow....we have a propane fireplace and a propane grill. We would not run the fp at all at those prices. We got 200 gallons for $250 last january.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Heating oil is coming today (I hope), we went through 100 gallons in the last month. We also have a wood stove but haven't used it too much yet. Although we are going to start using it more now that we have went through so much oil so fast! Not sure the price, I'm hoping for cheap cheap cheap!!!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I think I paid ~$3.00 in November. I use it to run a propane stove/heater to heat the house. But mine has been busted since November and my repairman can't seem to get his hands on a part for a stove that is less than five years old. Thank you Vermont Castings and said authorized dealers for crappy service.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts