Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
What most people need to realize is that Congress (House and Senate) passes the bills NOT the President! They can and will pass whatever they want if they have a two-thirds vote from both the house and senate (I just finished taken my American Government class requirement for college). He has the right to veto, but if they want to pass it anyway, they in turn can with the two-thirds vote!! I know it sucks!! Read the the U.S. Constitution, Congress really has the last say, regardless of what Obama (or any other President) has against something.

ETA: The President *does* have a right to make a law, but it STILL has to go through CONGRESS to be able to pass, than it goes back on his desk and THAN he signs his approval.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I know (that is what I said) BUT Congress can also un-veto *his* veto of a bill/law and still pass it if they want; he wouldn't have a choice but to pass it into law than.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
HR3800 is 1000 plus pages of reading. There might be two people on the planet who read it all.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Lol, trust me my teacher actually broke it down into eight pages. Bill of Rights, Civil Rights, and the first 10 Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. The first Ten spell out the powers of the House and Senate (known as Congress as a whole) and of the President. It took us two-three days to really read it all so its light reading for an American Government class.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Lol, trust me my teacher actually broke it down into eight pages. Bill of Rights, Civil Rights, and the first 10 Amendments of the U.S. Constitution. The first Ten spell out the powers of the House and Senate (known as Congress as a whole) and of the President. It took us two-three days to really read it all so its light reading for an American Government class.
The first 10 Amendments to the Constitution are the Bill of Rights.;)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Article Two:

Article II - The Executive Branch Note

Section 1 - The President Note1 Note2

The executive Power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his Office during the Term of four Years, and, together with the Vice-President chosen for the same Term, be elected, as follows:

Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or Person holding an Office of Trust or Profit under the United States, shall be appointed an Elector.

(The Electors shall meet in their respective States, and vote by Ballot for two persons, of whom one at least shall not lie an Inhabitant of the same State with themselves. And they shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Electors appointed; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for President; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the President. But in chusing the President, the Votes shall be taken by States, the Representation from each State having one Vote; a quorum for this Purpose shall consist of a Member or Members from two-thirds of the States, and a Majority of all the States shall be necessary to a Choice. In every Case, after the Choice of the President, the Person having the greatest Number of Votes of the Electors shall be the Vice President. But if there should remain two or more who have equal Votes, the Senate shall chuse from them by Ballot the Vice-President.) (This clause in parentheses was superseded by the 12th Amendment.)

The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.

No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty-five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

(In Case of the Removal of the President from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the same shall devolve on the Vice President, and the Congress may by Law provide for the Case of Removal, Death, Resignation or Inability, both of the President and Vice President, declaring what Officer shall then act as President, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a President shall be elected.) (This clause in parentheses has been modified by the 20th and 25th Amendments.)

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Section 2 - Civilian Power over Military, Cabinet, Pardon Power, Appointments

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

He shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The President shall have Power to fill up all Vacancies that may happen during the Recess of the Senate, by granting Commissions which shall expire at the End of their next Session.

Section 3 - State of the Union, Convening Congress

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section 4 - Disqualification

The President, Vice President and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.
Article III - The Judicial Branch Note

Section 1 - Judicial powers

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section 2 - Trial by Jury, Original Jurisdiction, Jury Trials

(The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority; to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls; to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction; to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party; to Controversies between two or more States; between a State and Citizens of another State; between Citizens of different States; between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.) (This section in parentheses is modified by the 11th Amendment.)

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

ETA: One of his many powers is to make and uphold the law; but each law or bill he wants to put into the making he HAS to get two-thirds of the House and Senate to agree. Trust me; I just had a test on this and a 10wk class! He also can assign the NSC to come up with a solution to stop a national threat or war.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
The Congress may determine the Time of chusing the Electors, and the Day on which they shall give their Votes; which Day shall be the same throughout the United States.
Sorry, that is just to funny, wonder if it was one of the Founding Fathers who misspelled that.:eek::D

·
Registered
167 Posts
*snorts* If you have time I really recommend you read it; its in the "old" language or "old" English. The WHOLE thing is!! No one really wants to spend time going through it all just to put it into modern English.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
ETA: but each law or bill he wants to put into the making he HAS to get two-thirds of the House and Senate to agree.
A president needs 2/3 of the Senate and House (plus 3/4 of the states) for amendments to the US Constitution. He only needs a majority of both houses to pass a simple law.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I'm talking about the vetoing.

But, when you really think about it; is the U.S. Constitution on the view of a President setting a law, really the best for the country and it's citizens? Like with this Health Care issue. Because, Congress is the one that has to agree to want to pass it, is it really the fault of the President; if something like this doesn't get done?

OP, the reason he doesn't know what is in the bill is because until Congress makes a decision he really won't get to see it until its time for him to sign it, so until than we have to pray its nothing to bad where he will have to veto it and has to send it back to the House and Senate for another rewrite!!

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
What most people need to realize is that Congress (House and Senate) passes the bills NOT the President! They can and will pass whatever they want if they have a two-thirds vote from both the house and senate (I just finished taken my American Government class requirement for college). He has the right to veto, but if they want to pass it anyway, they in turn can with the two-thirds vote!! I know it sucks!! Read the the U.S. Constitution, Congress really has the last say, regardless of what Obama (or any other President) has against something.

ETA: The President *does* have a right to make a law, but it STILL has to go through CONGRESS to be able to pass, than it goes back on his desk and THAN he signs his approval.

What part of this sucks?? It's called balance of power. Are you in middle school - because that is where I learned all this.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts

But, when you really think about it; is the U.S. Constitution on the view of a President setting a law, really the best for the country and it's citizens? Like with this Health Care issue. Because, Congress is the one that has to agree to want to pass it, is it really the fault of the President; if something like this doesn't get done?

OP, the reason he doesn't know what is in the bill is because until Congress makes a decision he really won't get to see it until its time for him to sign it, so until than we have to pray its nothing to bad where he will have to veto it and has to send it back to the House and Senate for another rewrite!!
LOL..........maybe that's how Schoolhouse rock explains it.....but I assure you that real life is a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEJL2Uuv-oQ

·
Registered
3,915 Posts

I figured so as soon as I posted. As for the rest, I think you need to view it from a practical viewpoint instead of a purely procedural viewpoint. Yes, Congress and only Congress may enact a law (not entirely true, they can delegate some of their legislative authority to the president for agencies to enact regulations which have the same effect as laws). In practice, especially when the President and Congress are members of the same party, the President has a lot more political ability to dictate what he wants. It's how presidents act on campaign promises. He has liaisons that do nothing but coordinate with Congress, so I don't think it's accurate to say he has no control and no ability to know.

Congress may brush him off, especially if he/she is unpopular, but, practically speaking, the President can "persuade" Congress to pass bills of his liking.

As for Obama specifically, I don't expect him to know the contents of a bill that hasn't even been finalized. I do have a problem with him making claims (it's deficit neutral, it won't affect existing insurance, etc.) when he doesn't know what's in the bill, unless he is serious about vetoing a bill that isn't deficit-neutral or doesn't impact existing insurance contracts.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Actually, I'm in college. But, I remember (and I live in FL) that in middle school they didn't go into the U.S. Constitution or the powers of Congress or the President in *great* detail. They would skip important things like that and we never truly had to read any of it.

Read this: "Poll: Americans know more about The Simpsons than the US Constitution"

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread197076/pg1

Trust me, that is really sad. That is why I don't agree with Obama when he said that schools need to teach modern history more than old history. Why should they when you have half of the nation that doesn't know anything about the Bill of Rights, Civil Rights, and the Constitution in which our laws are founded on?

IF they did do you truly think a cop would have the right to arrest as many people they are if people would just learn this history and about their government? Like my brother got arrested in a convenience store, because they found something illegal in his friend's car. What warranty did they have? None, zip!! IF he knew what his rights were he could have stopped them. They had to let him go in the end.

It Sucks because if America knew all of this (some do, the majority doesn't) we wouldn't be putting up with a lot of crap that government tries to get over on us with!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts