Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dunno what happened to our oven this morning, but Eileen was putting in muffiins, and the heating element at the bottom of the range went haywire. Large sparks, glowy lava, smoke! I thought at first it may have just been burning off some gunk that stuck to it, but, no. The wire kept burning long after a sludge of cheese or whatever would have lasted. And it was throwing sparks. Not even Eileen's baked macaroni throws sparks!!

She turned it off, but the show continued.

I went to the basement and cut the breaker. Show over.

Trying to find a repairman now.... Wonder if we'll be adding a new range to the kitchen re-do of the floor/windows/paint? Eh. It's only money......................

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sounds like a set-up! :p

Seriously though, Eileen bakes muffins in the morning?! :eek:

Our oven sh*t the bed a couple of months ago. I cook everything that would go in the oven, on the grill. Cooks better on the grill, if you ask me. 350 is 350, right??

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Same thing happened at my neighbor's. They even had the fire dept. there.
She got a new stove and if you get a new stove then you need a new rangehood and if you get a new rangehood then you need a matching dishwasher and if you get a matching dishwasher, then you need a matching fridge and then you need all new matching dishtowels and chair cushions and new dishes and new glassware, and new flatware and new little throw rugs and new accessories to decorate and...and....and.....wow I'm getting dizzy ;)

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IzzyLucyWillie said:
She got a new stove and if you get a new stove then you need a new rangehood and if you get a new rangehood then you need a matching dishwasher and if you get a matching dishwasher, then you need a matching fridge and then you need all new matching dishtowels and chair cushions and new dishes and new glassware, and new flatware and new little throw rugs and new accessories to decorate and...and....and.....wow I'm getting dizzy ;)
When did you move into our house??

Baking muffins - It was a rare treat for DW#1's last full day of elementary school. She ended up baking them in the toaster oven. We'll be relying on the grill and the kids' EZ-Bake Oven until we can get a repair guy to come out.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
We'll be relying on the grill
I'm tellin' ya Dan! Let's see...I've made meatloaf, lasagna, stuffed shells, among a ton of other stuff you would never have thought to cook on the grill. Next is peanut butter cookies. :p

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
IzzyLucyWillie said:
You did not post this! I'm not seeing this! AWWWWWWW too late!

So Dan, How good of a deal was the new floor?

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
I understand these things Dan. THIS is how my life is. I plan on a new floor and a major appliance goes out. Christmas is a month away and a major appliance goes out. I plan a vacation and a major appliance goes out. NEVER FAILS!
We just did almost the same thing in November. My Stove/oven were on their last leg, next thing I know we were getting a new kitchen floor, new fridge, stove,rangehood, dishwasher and carpet throughout the house. We painted every room and the next thing you know we needed new bedroom furniture and mattress.
SU got a new t.v.
I have to admit we were lucky, we did some refinancing that allowed us to do more then we had hoped, lower our monthly payment and we are paying off 5 years earlier (yes our refinancing was long overdue)

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
It might be just the heating element that is fried. Yank it out and take it to your local home improvement store to find a match. They're pretty cheap, and a lot of them simply unplug, just like a regular house socket. It might be worth trying that before paying for a repair guy to charge a small fortune.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
kaisdad said:
It might be just the heating element that is fried. Yank it out and take it to your local home improvement store to find a match. They're pretty cheap, and a lot of them simply unplug, just like a regular house socket. It might be worth trying that before paying for a repair guy to charge a small fortune.
I totally agree with Cam. Our 7 year old oven did the same thing last summer while I was baking a cake. It shot sparks, then burst into flames as well. I called my dad who advised me that it was most likely just the element. I took the element out, marched it to the only store in town that did oven repairs, and bought a new one for $21. I put it in myself and it's worked like a charm since. The guy in the store said it's very typical of the elements to do that.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
It's just God tryin' to tell you cooking with out real flames is the work of the Devil. ;D Git ya some dutch ovens and use them in the back yard till you can get a gas stove. ;D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts