Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Shadow has been acting off lately, like she is having back problems or arthritis. Limping, sad, and droopy - very UN-Shadowlike. We had an appointment with the vet Tuesday after work, but when I got home she was her old self, bouncing off the walls, wanting to play Frisbee, and just being normal. So, I called the vet, explained how she was doing, and they said not to bring her in. I was thinking maybe she has a touch of arthritis, since it got better when it warmed up and stopped raining and snowing. Wednesday evening I was throwing her ball down the hall to give her some exercise. About the fourth or fifth throw, she was very slow returning, and when she came around the corner she was limping. I thought she'd pulled something, or possibly even pinched a nerve in her back from the way she was acting. I gave her an aspirin and she was better, and she was okay in the morning, just a bit droopy. Thursday evening when I got home, she was in distress so I tried to get her in to the vet. The first opening they had was this afternoon.

The vet couldn't understand what was causing her distress, so they took her back for xrays and bloodwork. Looking at her spine in the xray, he saw a mass in her abdomen, so he did an ultrasound of the abdomen. She has a tumor the size of a softball on her spleen. Right now they don't know if it's a hemangioma (not good, but not REAL bad), hemangiosarcoma (cancer), or hematoma (very benign, sort of like a huge blood blister). She is on Prednisone, Amoxicillin, and Pepcid, and scheduled for surgery Wednesday at 1:00 pm. I have to take her in between 8:00 and 8:30 that morning. Of course, she has to stay quiet between now and then, not that that's much of a problem with the way she's feeling. The odd thing is, her symptoms have nothing to do with the tumor and he didn't find a reason for the limping. He said the mass could have ruptured or burst at any time and that, as big as it is, it's been growing for a while. He was surprised that she hadn't shown any symptoms sooner.

Please say a prayer that Shadow comes through the surgery safely and that it's only a hematoma.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Oh my goodness. Sending all my best for Shadow. I hope it is just a hematoma. Please give her a hug and a kiss for me.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Shadow will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers over this weekend and all next week too.

I understand the anxiety and fear you are going through having been in your exact same situation this past October with my Auggie. Along with others, I am hoping for the best possible outcome for Shadow.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Oh my....good thoughts for Shadow

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Jackie, good luck with Shadow. I hope everything is okay. Pat

1 - 20 of 52 Posts