Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dot went down today. It was farrier day and she had been up and down Bonnie said that morning. She stood okay for the farrier, but as soon as she was done, she went back into the paddock and laid down.

My first thought and that of the farrier was colic. Bonnie thinks it might just be her time. Dot's 30 which is pretty good for a horse, but it saddens me that we might lose her.

This is how she looked when I drove off, tears dripping down my face.

I love that old horse and she'll always hold a special place in my heart. She took care of me when I decided to get back up on a horse a couple of years ago. This is a picture of her taken a year ago.

So, if you can spare a few good thoughts and/or prayers for the old girl I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
30 is a good age for a horse. Hope it isn't her time, but if it is that she goes quickly and as painlessly as possible....

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
So sorry to hear about Dot.

I hope that Bonnie would have the vet come out and do some blood work. We went through the same thing a couple of times with Jesse (she was 32 when we put her down due to a stroke she suffered in the night). Each time I truly thought it was the end, blood work revealed something we could fix. First time was a urinary tract infection, she bounced back. Then she had some elevated liver problems, treated it with steroids, and she bounced back. It gave her a good extra year.

Sending prayers for Dot.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Tears here too seeing that picture, come on Dotty, get well soon, I hope she's just having a down day Laura and she picks up again soon. Love and good thoughts from here that she does .

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Aw Laura she's beautiful.
Sending prayers up for her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have a Paint horse who is 24 years old this year. I know how it is too love a horse and have to see them go. i will pray for you.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
You got it Laura. A good friend of mine just lost their 32 year old to the cold and colic as well. Sad, sad day. Let's hope Dot isn't going to join Mozart.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Toby has been keeping close to her this evening. She's always like Toby so I'm glad he's the one comforting her.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts