Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom is having a hard time, she had a couple of small strokes last February and once they got her meds regulated she has been fairly normal . . . until the 3rd. She complained of chest pain. I think heart-attack so off to the ER we all go. It ends up being a pulled chest muscle from when she coughed. whew. Then this past Monday she started not feeling good again. Tuesday her pulse is racing (150) so to the Dr. & ER. They poked. They prodded. They xrayed and came to no conclusions and her pulse dropped back to a normal rate within a couple of hours. They adjusted her med's and sent her home. This morning she was feeling fine, so I was going to drop off some groceries on my way home. I get over there and her pulse is about 86, but coming down. I call the heart Dr. and they tell me to take her to the ER. In the meantime her pulse has returned to normal. So she is definitely not going to the ER now. She ate a little lunch, and was feeling good so I came home. I called her back after talking to the family Dr. (who said the same as the heart Dr.) I told her what they said and that if it happens again, to call me and we will go to the ER. She's frustrated, I'm frustrated but mostly I'm scared. My mom is 83, so I know no matter how you look at it, time is running out. I had never thought of my parents as being old but taking a good look at them last Feb. when this all started, I realized that they are. They are elderly now, and now my Bro & I are taking care of them. I don't mind, I would do anything for them but I don't want them to be old. I don't want to loose them and I know that realistically that it will happen someday. I just don't want it to happen now. :no: Not yet. No, not yet. Just a little more time, please. :(

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Good thoughts for your mom. My dad is 73, and he's looking so much older to me. It's a scary feeling. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Good thoughts and prayers. I hate to suggest this, but having been thru it with MIL who is same age - perhaps she's not remembering to take all of the meds or the correct meds at the correct time? we almost lost MIL a couple years ago - comatose, and non responsive - hospital for 4 weeks, then rehab...she'd been taking the meds wrong or not at all or some of Dad's instead. Paul and I fought her wishes, and now set up her 16+ meds on a weekly/daily/4 x day basis - and she's doing so much better because of it! (She also no longer resents us doing it, and feels so much better being medicated correctly) Hopefully, it's something simple, but take a look at that if you can!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BoatDog said:
Good thoughts and prayers. I hate to suggest this, but having been thru it with MIL who is same age - perhaps she's not remembering to take all of the meds or the correct meds at the correct time? we almost lost MIL a couple years ago - comatose, and non responsive - hospital for 4 weeks, then rehab...she'd been taking the meds wrong or not at all or some of Dad's instead. Paul and I fought her wishes, and now set up her 16+ meds on a weekly/daily/4 x day basis - and she's doing so much better because of it! (She also no longer resents us doing it, and feels so much better being medicated correctly) Hopefully, it's something simple, but take a look at that if you can!
We have both her and my dad's meds doled out on a daily basis, morning , noon, night, bed in one of those plastic containers for each of them. Even though they didn't like the idea at first, they appreciate it now. I'm wondering if maybe my mom isn't hydrated enough. She isn't eating well so she doesn't drink much either. Thoughts?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Dehydration can cause lots of weird problems, so it is a possibility. Try to make sure she drinks more, even if she is not hungry. Prayers and good thoughts that this gets sorted out soon, and all is fine.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Yup = we run that problem all the time....MIL doesn't wanna drink cause then she has to pee and walking is hard...so no drink, no pee, no move. Good luck - this is always hard!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I agree with Jackie about the dehydration. Maybe get her some pedialyte and make sure drinks it? Or ask Dad to make sure drinks it on a regular basis?

83 is still fairly young, I think. She could get another 10+ years, you never know!! :pray:

Prayers and good thoughts for Mom...

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
The possibility of losing one's mom, no matter the age, is extremely hard. Good thoughts that everything will even out and you will have more years left with your mom!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I think we're all facing the same thing. Mine are in their late 70's and both have heart problems. I pray everyday for a little more time with them. I hope this is just a little glitch and you will have lots of years ahead with her. My prayers are with you and your mom. :pray:

·
Registered
20,085 Posts
You've got my every good prayer/thought/wish. This is a tough, tough time. When taking care of Mom, be sure to take care of yourself as well. Easy to forget that your own batteries are going to need recharging more often, considering the effort you're expending on someone you love.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts