Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How close would you live to power lines? I'm talking about the big towers with several cables. I don't really know how to describe them other than that. :-[ Not a power plant, but the big lines. What is the word I'm looking for?

I'm asking because we found a house that is in a KILLER neighborhood. I don't mean the neighborhood is "sort of" nice. I mean the neighborhood looks like Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous. No joke. There is one million dollar home in this hood. :eek: It is walking distance to the lake and at the end of a cul-de-sac. It would be at the upper end of our price range, but Kevin is very enamored of the location. (Updated w/MLS numbers downthread)

The down side is, there are these huge power lines across the street. They don't run over this house, but the do go over and behind the house across the street. I think they're about a football field away, maybe a little less? The power lines for the hood are all buried. Wow, what a difference that makes in the appearance of the streets. It's so clean looking.

I just wondered what your thoughts would be on living so close to these. Think it's just one of those Old Wives Tales? Or is there really something to all the claims of illnesses?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
We have thought about this for a while now. There is a line diagonal across the street from my house. The woman next door died of brain cancer, the man on the other side of her had brain cancer (dont know if he lived or died, they moved shortly after), the people across the street's son had a cancer of some sort, and my other neighbor (they have lived there longer than I have been born) has some fluid type thingy on her brain that no one knows what caused. So, yes, I do believe in power lines causing things. During certain times of the year, all of my animals go crazy (like now, bleh). There is an inherent amount of stress at my current house. That is why we are moving to the country. The closets powerlines are about 2 miles away. Most are small though.

If you like the neighborhood, and the lines don't bother you, then jump on it. However, if you are having second thoughts about it, don't jump into it. The possible risks may start eating at you, and you may regret it later.

Look up electro-magnetic fields. That is what they are called. (When power lines intersect)

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm. Seems like I have heard several stories like yours, about clusters of odd cancers. :( That can't be a coincidence, can it? Too weird.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
I had a teacher in highschool, who miscarried every time she got pregnant. They lived super close to the power lines. They moved, and about 2 years later she finally got pregnant and carried to term.

There is no way you could talk me into living next to powerlines.

Oh Connie, if you like the look of the buried powerlines, come move to Canada ;D There's some nice houses for sale in my hood too.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
We have the large towers 3 homes down from us, they also extend and run right next to the high school's football field to the right of the school. No cancer clusters in my town, although the town next to us seems to have an autsim cluster (don't get me started on my ideas about that one.) If the "look" of the lines don't bug you and they don't hum or make any disturbing sounds, go for it! Ask around the neighbor hood to see if they have any health concerns as related to the lines. I have lived in this house for 20 years and have seen a ton of kids go through the high school and I am aware of no problems.

Show us photos of this classy neighborhood!
Good Luck

G

·
My mom lives in a neighborhood with buried powerlines. No clusters of weird health issues there, but maybe the overhead lines make a difference vs. buried lines. Not sure.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts

do they look like that Connie?

My uncle has lived in a neighborhood with these for 60+ years. He and his wife have no health issues and all of the people in that neighborhood have lived there for quite some time. I'll have to ask him if there are any health concerns or ideas he has about the power lines...he's big into researching things.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Are they in between the house for sale and local radio/TV transmission towers; would the power line interfere with those transmissions?

Take a small hand held battery power AM radio, tune to 530 and turn the volume down so that one can barely hear the static. Then walk around the yard and across the street toward the power line. If there are any emf's or rfm's/whatever (hell, I don't know the proper terms) the radio will get quite loud with increasing static.

Also park your car at the road end of the drive way and see how AM radio reception is, do this at the house end too.

We have a long distance transmission power line that is about 40 feet from the front of our house. Hubby (77) says, "It hasn't killed us yet". :p and he has lived that close to it since he was 11 years old, I've only lived here 32 years ;)

I did this AM radio trick throughout our house and came up with really strong static at a dimmer switch in the living room that was directly behind my head when sitting on the sofa :eek: and had Hubby take it out and install a regular light switch. It's also fun wanding it around the computer stuff, kitchen appliances, TVs, etc. 8)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
I play golf at a course that is within a housing development right next to Folsom Dam in northern California. These towers are everywhere. You can stand there and listen to them buzz and crackle. There's a cancer cluster there that is constantly being talked about in the local paper; lots of kids with cancer. Sure, maybe it's a coincidence but my gut feeling is that it's the lines.

Lots of studies have been done with varying results but I wouldn't want to take the chance, especially if I had children.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
I've heard so any conflicting stories about high tension power lines through residential neighborhoods. We have some large 750kV lines running through Central NY and they have been in place over 20 years. We do have "clusters of MS, Autism and far too many pediatric cancer cases. I don't think they can be clearly attributed to one source or another. For decades we had a SAC air base that de-iced planes and contaminated the ground water, factories dumping PCB and toxins into the storm sewers,lead pipes,garbage incineration, etc. The list can go on forever about health and environment poisoning in our area. Of course, 40 years ago that was normal for industrial areas.

I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the powerlines for health reasons.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Stacy, yep, that is exactly what they look like.

Judy, what a cool trick! I'll have to remember that one!

OK, here are some MLS numbers. There are two more houses on that street for sale this morning. :eek:

You can put these in at realtracs.com.

Here is the one we were looking at:

Here is the one across the street. The lines run RIGHT behind his house. This is some creative photography that they don't show up:

Here's the one that's almost a million. They have only pictured the back for some reason. There are much more impressive facades in the neighborhood, but this guy is RIGHT on the lake with his own boat dock:

Here's another:

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I can see the power lines in the back yard of the other house, I think.

In my mind, those are wayyyy to close for my comfort. I believe in the link between high tension power lines and increased instances of cancer.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh yeah, there they are. Isn't that just sad? That looks like a palace to me.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There is a plus side, you have a really good lightning rod to protect your house, lived near some for about a year, they lightning was always hitting the towers, but we were on a hill.

·
Registered
578 Posts
We had the same issue with a house we looked at when we where shopping. The owner can ask the power company to come out and do a "Gaouse Reading". I'm not sure of the spelling, but it is pronounced like House, but with a hard G. Anyway, whatever is floating around those wires is measured in units called miligaouse. Certain things like your television and microwave give off levels of electro-magnetic current, but those levels are not something to be concerned about apparantly. The levels in the house we looked at that had the high tension wires in a lot behind what would have been our backyard, were well beyond what "they" consider safe so we opted out of the house. You may want to ask if a test has been done already.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Oooh - oooh - Mr. Kotter (regarese), pick me, pick me!

I knew exactly what you're talking about. It's spelled Gauss. And on the old-time computer monitors, there was a button to degauss your monitor; pushing it would make your monitor appear like it gave itself a good shake.

Pronunciation: 'gaus
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural gauss also gauss·es
Etymology: Karl F. Gauss
: the centimeter-gram-second unit of magnetic flux density that is equal to 1 x 10-4 tesla

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Connie, we had them running behind our house when we lived in St.Catharines. The greenspace behind our lot belonged to Hydro, and so the towers were probably about 200-250 feet behind our house. From our windows, you could only really see the wires, the house 3 doors down had a beautiful view of the tower. ;)

When our home was first put on the market, the first couple that went through loved the house but didn't like the wires. So, there could possibly be a resale issue if you ever were to sell the property. As far as health concerns, I'm not really sure... we only lived there 2 years. ;) I've still only got two arms, two legs and one head. My biggest concern at the time was if we ever got hit with a brutal ice storm, it might bring those wires down, but, not really an issue in TN! :D

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Felicia beat me to it, I was going to mention that resale might be a concern, regardless of whether there's science to back or debunk the powerline-cancer connection. Personally, I hate the look of them. They're just so industrial looking... :p

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
You couldn't pay me to live near them...I definitely think it is more of a resale value than a health issue, but all the same, I wouldn't do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts