Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
YAY!!! I about did a happy dance when DH called and said it was back on last night so we could go home. We already had stuff packed and had taken Zeus over to his parents to spend the night. DH went back home to get a few things and the lights were on!!! I still feel bad for the rest of the people around without power though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Thank you, God!!! :D :D :D :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ender's Mom said:
YAY!

We really should invest in an updated power grid.
I would agree after a good portion of our city has been without power twice now in the last 6 months some of them were without for as much as 10 days the last time. They are saying 7-10 days before everyone is back on again this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,054 Posts
Mine just came back on at 8:30 this morning!! The first thing I did was the happy dance--then made a pot of coffee. I've been without power since Tuesday night, and let me tell you the house gets really cold when it is 15 degrees outside and there is no heat on!! I stayed at home, since I didn't want to take 3 dogs to someone's house. My son and daughter still don't have any in their apartments. Anyone heard from Nick? How is he doing?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
Ender's Mom said:
YAY!

We really should invest in an updated power grid.
We're getting one. I'm not sure if my power is back on in Louisville, probably not since it took 5 days in September when the remnants of Ike blew through and the paper says 122,000 homes are still without power in Louisville. I was staying at a friends back home because they had power, now I'm at my parents since they got power last night. Many counties in western Kentucky have 0 power, the whole county is in the dark. A county to the south of us has so much damage that the entire grid basically has to be replaced. They're thinking all power will be restored in March! I can't imagine what I'd do living either without power or on a generator for that long. I have been impressed with the constant truck loads of generators that have been brought in - thousands arrive every day.

I've never seen anything like this (and neither have the folks that have been around for 70 or 80 years), no tree has been spared. From Wednesday through yesterday we worked from sunup to sundown doing nothing but clearing trees out of roads and yards. At night, we've been transporting supplies down to areas harder hit than us. Some areas not only lack electricity, they don't even have water because there is a shortage of generators with enough capacity to operate the water pumps. Also, since people aren't using as much water since they're out of their homes or the pumps aren't working, the water mains are breaking since we've had a few nights that have dropped into the teens and single digits. Fortunately, schools are out and many employers closed so there is literally an army of volunteers to help in addition to the governor calling up every National Guard unit in the state.

The problem with burying the lines is that it's terribly expensive. This is a once in a lifetime event, so it's hard to convince people to pay that much more every month for something that probably won't happen again in their lifetime. Plus, you have to turn the power, cable, and telephones off to bury the line, and you have to bury it in a large enough pipe that workers can access when the line eventually deteriorates - at least the main lines. They do bury most utilities in new construction now, especially in wooded areas, but I'm not sure they'll ever bury everything. It may be something they can do over a period of decades. I don't think it's an option now because right now the focus is getting power back as soon as possible and it would just take too long to bury everything that's down right now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
JeffersonsMom said:
Mine just came back on at 8:30 this morning!! The first thing I did was the happy dance--then made a pot of coffee. I've been without power since Tuesday night, and let me tell you the house gets really cold when it is 15 degrees outside and there is no heat on!! I stayed at home, since I didn't want to take 3 dogs to someone's house. My son and daughter still don't have any in their apartments. Anyone heard from Nick? How is he doing?
Thanks for asking. I'm doing fine, I bolted Wednesday because school was canceled for the week and I had a friend in Owensboro with power. A friend of mine down the road never lost power, but I hated to stay with them because their apartment doesn't allow dogs and I wasn't going to leave Jes in my apartment. He's driving by every day and is supposed to call me whenever power is restored. I'll probably head back tonight or tomorrow because I have to be back Tuesday for work. I'm bringing back a truck full of firewood in case I don't have power, fortunately I do have a fireplace. What's going to suck is I have an electric water heater. Hooray for cold showers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,054 Posts
Nick said:
Thanks for asking. I'm doing fine, I bolted Wednesday because school was canceled for the week and I had a friend in Owensboro with power. A friend of mine down the road never lost power, but I hated to stay with them because their apartment doesn't allow dogs and I wasn't going to leave Jes in my apartment. He's driving by every day and is supposed to call me whenever power is restored. I'll probably head back tonight or tomorrow because I have to be back Tuesday for work. I'm bringing back a truck full of firewood in case I don't have power, fortunately I do have a fireplace. What's going to suck is I have an electric water heater. Hooray for cold showers.
I lost power again this morning. It just came back on--at least for now. Are you still in the Highlands? That area was one of the hardest hit, mostly because it has the most mature trees around.
Luckily I have a gas hot water heater and a gas log fireplace. It is the only thing that allowed me to stay home. It is hard with three dogs to find someplace to stay! And like you, I wasn't about to leave them here alone.
When you get back, if you don't have power and need anything--let me know. I'll be happy to help if I can.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
Thank you very much. I saw on the courier-journal's website where it's down to 95,000. I actually moved to an apartment complex over on Mellwood Avenue, and that area was hit pretty hard with all those trees. I don't think there's a worse place to live than the Highlands, though, in terms of storms that knock down trees.

When I left, the next block down had power, so I'm hopeful it's back on. I'm about to call the office and see if they're there and if there's power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Most people I know around here have their power back now but I'm sure there are others inthe city without yet. One of our friends neighborhood actually has burried power cables they normally do keep their power when others go out but they were out this time too for almost 3 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
bacatherine said:
Most people I know around here have their power back now but I'm sure there are others inthe city without yet. One of our friends neighborhood actually has burried power cables they normally do keep their power when others go out but they were out this time too for almost 3 days.
Yeah, a lot of the big feeder lines went down. It won't matter if your lines are buried or not if the main lines feeding an entire area are knocked out. That's the problem the smaller communities are having. They may have only a few transmission lines that bring in all of the county's electricity, and those went down.

We didn't have cellular service or landlines over in Owensboro for a few days, AT&T had two main fiber lines that service this area go down. They're back up, but man have we become dependent on cell phones. A lot of people don't have anything else, and it was nearly impossible to communicate. We have some hand-held CBs that we used to keep in contact, and that worked okay provided we were not more than a few miles apart.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,054 Posts
Nick said:
bacatherine said:
Most people I know around here have their power back now but I'm sure there are others inthe city without yet. One of our friends neighborhood actually has burried power cables they normally do keep their power when others go out but they were out this time too for almost 3 days.
Yeah, a lot of the big feeder lines went down. It won't matter if your lines are buried or not if the main lines feeding an entire area are knocked out. That's the problem the smaller communities are having. They may have only a few transmission lines that bring in all of the county's electricity, and those went down.

We didn't have cellular service or landlines over in Owensboro for a few days, AT&T had two main fiber lines that service this area go down. They're back up, but man have we become dependent on cell phones. A lot of people don't have anything else, and it was nearly impossible to communicate. We have some hand-held CBs that we used to keep in contact, and that worked okay provided we were not more than a few miles apart.
I heard that a few cell towers were affected here in Louisville. I haven't had a problem with my cell service--thank goodness! The only problem was to find a place to recharge! The Highlands still have no power. And no idea when they might have power again. My son said that he hadn't even seen any crews working around his area--and he is just 2 blocks off Bardstown Road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had a little trouble with our cell service at my inlaws on Thursday morning but it's been fine otherwise. We did have trouble when Ike came through though. My one boss is still out in Cresent hill but his wife called and there are 5 trucks on their street so I would bet they will be up yet today. One of my coworkers is in the highlands off Bonnycastle and they got theirs back Thursday morning hopefully your son's is back on soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,955 Posts
I have an aunt and uncle near Henderson and they just got their power back yesterday. They've been staying with my parents north of Evansville who were lucky enough to keep their power. They'd gone back home to get some more things and clean out the refrigerator and it came on while they were there. I don't know how everybody's pipes don't burst in that situation.

I can't imagine what you all have been dealing with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Our pipes were fine and heck the house was cold enough even the stuff in the refrigerator was still really cold...lol
We did turn off the water main and drain what we could from the pipes but we would not have had to because the power came back on right after I did it :laugh:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top