Just Labradors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My pup used to go to the bathroom pretty quickly after being taken outside, but now he is taking forever! I have always said "Go potty" and he used to go, but now all he wants to do is chew on twigs, lick rocks, watch the birds, anything other than hurry and potty. I was wondering if there is anything I can do to speed him up, I have three little girls so I can't spend all day outside. Thanks!

·
Registered
638 Posts
How old is your pup?

The reason I ask is, because if he is a puppy, you might have gotten used to taking him out every hour or so, but now his bladder control is increasing, and simply doesn't HAVE to go as often. So, part of the issue is that you might be taking him out too often relative to his needs, so he just "dilly-dallies."

The other thing is -- have you taught him the command "go potty" or "do your business" or whatever? This definitely helps -- at least for me -- to keep them focused on what they are supposed to be doing! :)

Steve

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
He is a puppy -- they live for the moment. If you put them outside they tend to forget about why you put them out there and get distracted. The easiest thing to do if you are in a hurry is to pop him on his leash and walk him around your yard.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
If he's crate trained you could also take him out for say 3-4 minutes if he doesn't go take him in and crate him. (if you really think he has to go) Then after 15 minutes or so take him out again...repeat until he goes then praise like heck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts