Just Labradors banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a tried and true recipe for potato pancakes. My husband had them for the first time this weekend and couldn't get enough (the kind with shredded hashbrown-like potatoes inside them). I think they may have had green onion in with them as well?

Anybody got one?

·
Registered
578 Posts
This is my great grandmother's recipe, so I apologize that I do not have exact measurements. If you're a confident cook-it's not too difficult.

I think the key to really good potato pancakes is hand shredding them. I know a food processor is easier, but if you have a hand grater-the one with the bigger holes that you might use for mozzerella cheese or something like that-take the time and use that.

Peel and shred potatoes into a big bowl. For my husband and I, I usually use about 8-10 good sized Russet or Idaho potatoes. Use more if you want leftovers. By the time your done there will probably be some potato water in the bottom of the bowl. You can pour some of it out, but keep some because the starchy water will help form the pancake. Peel and shred (hand shred also if you can) 1/2-1 medium sized yellow onion into potatoes. Mix well. Sprinkle about 2-3 tablespoons of flour over potato/onion mixture. Mix really well. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Heat vegetable oil in a frying pan. Enough oil to generously cover bottom of pan. Once oil is hot enough (if you flick water in and it sizzles it's hot enough). I assume you could use Canola or something else, but we've always just used vegetable oil. I use a big serving spoon to drop potato mix into oil-you can use something bigger or smaller depending on what size pancakes you want. I pick up a scoop with one spoon and use another to push it off the spoon into the oil. They do not take that long to cook. Once it is golden brown, flip the pancake to fry the other side until golden brown. Place finished pancake on a papertowel on a plate to drain off excess oil. You can put them on a cookie sheet and keep them warm in a warm oven while you finish the rest. And that's it. I like sour cream on mine, but some people like applesauce. Enjoy!!

If you make these though-you have to make them with this story in mind. My great-grandmother made these for my great-grandfather the first time he came to her house for dinner. She mistakenly put powdered soap in the mixture instead of the flour (similar canisters on the counter) and when she went to make the first few pancakes there were soap bubbles all over the stove!! She would tell that story EVERYTIME she made these pancakes for us. My grandmother makes them now, with a food processor, and doesn't tell the story, and they just don't taste the same :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts