Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not too sure about it yet, but we'll see what happens after some more discussion this week and after my finals.
I've got at least 2 more years of living in this town (work experiance) before I can even think about moving. Cost of living isn't exactly cheap here unless you work your butt off (like 3 full-time jobs), live in a hole, or have 2 room-mates! And I really need to save save save when I'm working, because school doesn't pay off itself.
So my parent's came up with an idea. My grandparents lived next door in the original farmhouse on our property. Reno-ed it about 15 years ago. It's completely seperate and far away from their house, but still on our property. I'll find a picture to explain better.
They offered me the opportunity to move in there if I wanted to. Otherwise they will rent it.
Cheap rent payments(because the house is paid off), plus the regular bills,upkeep etc. as a regular home/apartment.
My Grandmother moved out 3 months ago after my Grandpa passed, so the house is empty. It's small, but not tiny. Just a little one bedroom farm-house. They said I could paint it how I wanted if I chose to move in.
I'm thinking of all the pros, and the few cons. Have lots of time to mull it over. Not many people my age have an option like this.
Hmmmmmm?

Edited to add:
Pros: Affordable, able to pay off school quicker, dogs will be close, can paint how I want(if I can afford to), save money for the next stint of schooling, it's a well reno-d house. Great shape for being 40+ years old.
Cons: Living right next door to my parents (although that's really a small con, since we have gotten along pretty well since I've moved home for a bit), lots of outside upkeep (big yard).

So really, not a big list.

Picture. Excuse the quality, I'm at work and only have Paint to work with. Blah! This was taken about 1/2 way up our pasture about 5 years ago.

G

·
Re: Possibly a new living situation for me

I say go for it. Sounds like a good situation. cheap rent, still in the home area, and you get to have your own space. Think it sounds pretty good. Can you come up with any cons that are really big? I always make pros and cons lists when it comes to big decisions like this...

·
Registered
4,075 Posts

oakley said:
What would be the cons?
sounds like a wonderful situation.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts

Oh sweetie! I hope you do this. It sounds like an ideal situation for you. Didn't you post a pic of the house a while back? I thought you did... a little Cape Cod, isn't it? I think it's an exciting proposition for you. :-*

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh yes! Oh if I were your age and in your situation I would pounce on Little House! And all that wonderful land around you. And the dogs close to you. Why, I'll bet you could even get snow flowers to grow around Little House. :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'm with the majority here - I say go for it! It sounds like you can gain a bit of independence without too much struggling.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
i'm not really sure why you wouldn't.. what's the question?

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'd take it. The worse that could happen is that you don't like the situation and go looking for another place. It looks beautiful.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts