Just Labradors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little Kramer had a most unusual incedent last night. He got down off the sofa and at first I thought he pulled something but then noticed his walking was rather off balance and he had his left front leg all tense and sticking almost straight out in front of him. He was kind of walking drunk. His leg looking like a cramp. Blair picked him up and gave him to me and he seemed stiff. His face like his eyes/face was taught and emotionless.
I held him and stroked his entire body for a while. He finally came around but was shaken and shaking. After a bit we feed all the dogs and he ate as well and was totally fine.
I have never seen him like that and we both agreed something was happening. It was just so odd.
He has pulled muscles before and had the shoulder gimp but it normally lasts a day and with some rest and then he is better. But in about an hour he was back to normal, no gimp.

I was just browsing a site and readin and the one on here
http://www.canine-epilepsy-guardian-angels.com/partial_focal.htm
describing the JRT Dixie sounds almost identical to what happeded here last night.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Poor guy! I hope its a one time thing as well. :( My friends' GSD has seizures all the time, poor girl, and they were told to NOT pet her while she's seizing, because sometimes when dogs seize they can bite and not realise it. She's on anti-seizure meds now and has been doing better.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Seizures do not need to be fall down and twitch to be seizures. When Kelly was in the very end stages of her renal failure, she would have episodes. Not flat out seizures, but definitely something going on.

Has he had a complete blood panel done lately Kim? That would be my first course of action.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Kim - sounds like a petit mal. Document everything you can remember about the event and maybe even a few days prior. Weather, time of day, duration of the event, possible triggers (flashing lights, odors, new chemicals in the house... anything!)

The rigid limbs, "drunken" walk, and wild eyed look are WAY too familiar to me because of Flynn.

I hope hope hope this was a one-off for you and your guy!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
It does sound like a seizure but they are essentially harmless unless they start occurring frequently. My old Lab would tense up, lose focus and drool but it would pass in a couple of minutes and he would be fine. He lived for close to 15 years.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kim - sounds like a petit mal. Document everything you can remember about the event and maybe even a few days prior. Weather, time of day, duration of the event, possible triggers (flashing lights, odors, new chemicals in the house... anything!)

The rigid limbs, "drunken" walk, and wild eyed look are WAY too familiar to me because of Flynn.

I hope hope hope this was a one-off for you and your guy!
Yes I have noted every detail of that moment, those prior and after.

As a side, Kramer also has a very prominent heart murmur.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Seizures do not need to be fall down and twitch to be seizures. When Kelly was in the very end stages of her renal failure, she would have episodes. Not flat out seizures, but definitely something going on.

Has he had a complete blood panel done lately Kim? That would be my first course of action.
His last work up was just a few months ago when he went in for a dental. All check out fine then.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I hope it was a one time thing! I'd call the vet if it happens again. Sam has grand mal seizures. After the first one I woke our vet up at 3am in a panic and he told me sometimes puppies blood sugar will drop so he told me to give Sam a little bit of sugar and let him know if it happens again.

He had another one the next night, got an appointment for the next day and he had ANOTHER one. He's on a med now and he hasn't had any since then.

Keep a close on on him. :) I'm sure he'll be fine.

The blood work up isn't a bad idea either. Sam had one to test for genetic disorders, I think they were mainly checking for liver shunts, but everything came back fine, which makes you feel a lot better.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Did speak to the vet and they think it does sound like a seizure. I too hope this is a one time thing cuz it sucked to see.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts