Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 11-month old yellow Lab Lucy has been an only dog her whole life. I got her when she was 8 weeks old. I work really long hours everyday and send her to daycare most of the days out of the week. Some days she stays home in her cage and I come home during lunch and take her out, and my boyfriend visits her as well.

I have recently been thinking about getting her another lab companion and wanted some advice from those of you who could give me any. She has gotten to where she growls/barks at strange dogs we see outside and people too. I am trying to stop her of this while she is young.

I guess I'm thinking maybe if she has a friend she will be happier, and will also get used to being around other dogs. The only thing I worry about is the vet bills, Lucy is so expensive! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
how do YOU feel about having a second dog?

Do you have time for a second dog - it won't cut down on the total time you have to take care of just Lucy, as the second dog will need some time (and things take longer, like feeding and cleaning, etc)

Have you looked to see if you can afford another dog? This was a factor for me two years ago. I assume you would stop daycare completely, that seems like a bummer for Lucy.

Getting another dog will not solve the issue of her barking/growling at other dogs and people you meet, that needs to be trained and worked thru. Clearly she is good with some dogs (those at daycare!) so it is dogs she does not know that appear to be the issues? Sounds like possible leash aggression if it only occurs on leash, and that needs to be addressed now I agree with you, but by working with her (and hopefully a trainer) not by adding another dog.

It boils down to what YOU are ready for. There are lots of poeple on the board who have multiple dogs. But that doesn't mean yours is unhappy being a single dog. And honestly, even if Lucy WERE bummed about being a single dog (it doesn't sound like it though) that in itself is NOT a reason to get another dog - you need to be ready for it.

Honestly, I love having one dog. It allows me to do more with him (training, spending more time together) and is easier to move around with/bring places. It also allows me to dog-sit for friends and foster sometimes.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I don't know if I am the best to give the advice seeing that I have 4 dogs:) (my golden retriever is not in the photo) however that being said...cost definitely is a consideration. I can say my house is rowdy...loud...hairy...but I couldn't imagine coming home without it! They definitely dominate my time...mine are on a very strict schedule since I work also. My life is centered around my dogs.

My advice is be sure you want to take care of another dog because both dogs will look to you...yes they will become friends but ultimately you will be the one taking care of him or her...don't know if I helped any... I would have more if my house and wallet could stand it:)...I wish you luck with your decision!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
It doesn't sound like you have a lot of extra time to work with one dog, let alone another, so I'm not sure that adding another dog right now would be the smart move. It will be another whole round of training, twice the costs at daycare, etc. Yes, it will help keep Lucy entertained to a certain extent, but you still need to spent a little one-on-one time with each dog each day, whether it be snuggling on the couch, training, etc.

That said, I am a full time college student and work ~20 hours a week and I have two dogs. :) It's possible, but it's a lot more work than just one, especially since my 2nd addition was a rescue with some "issues" we are working on. I do set time aside each day for fetch sessions, 60 minutes of walking and short training sessions, so they keep me busy. :D

About the growling/barking.. have you tried taking her in public places to socialize her? Not sure if you did a lot of it when she was younger and now, but that really does help. :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, Lucy LOVES Pawtropolis!! I don't know what I would do if she didn't go there at least a few times a week! Snowflake - is that where you take your dog?

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
If you think one is expensive, oh boy, wait till you have two! :)

We got Simon as a companion for Angus. Well, and for me too...I wanted a dog who would cuddle, and Angus was about your dog's age and not looking like the cuddly type (although now he has mellowed and actually become the more cuddly of the two).

Anyway, we thought Simon would help burn off some of Angus' excess energy and keep him company. I thought if he had a companion it would make life a little easier for me. Well, it did in some ways. But in the majority of ways it basically just increased the work for me (and Kevin) twofold. :p

You really do have to spend equal time with both of them each day. Instead of one fetch session, now I have two. Instead of one training session, now I have two. Two to walk (Kevin walks them together, and I can too but am never really comfortable doing this), two vet bills, double the food, double the meds...shall I go on? :D

Now, having said that...I love having two and wouldn't trade either of them for the world. But to do two dogs right (and I don't always feel like I'm doing it right), it really takes a LOT of work.

Two is definitely my limit. There are a lot of people here, and at my dog club, who have many more, and I am just amazed that they can do it!

I think if you have Lucy in day care almost every day, she is definitely getting all the socialization she could want and then some. So, if you get a second dog, it would really just be for you.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
All too often, the newer dog will quickly adopt the worst behaviour that the resident dog exhibits - so you may end up with two dogs with leash aggression issues.

Work on her issues first, with a professional trainer, then down the road, consider adding a second dog for you

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
All too often, the newer dog will quickly adopt the worst behaviour that the resident dog exhibits - so you may end up with two dogs with leash aggression issues.

Work on her issues first, with a professional trainer, then down the road, consider adding a second dog for you
Truer words were never spoken. Very good point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts