Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over 2 hours ago, we started noticing some swelling in Madison's nose and right lip. I called the vet that's on call and he said to give Benadryl. My daughter has some children's benadryl so I gave her half a tablet (it's the kind that disolves). Right now we're not exactly sure what Madison weighs, we're guessing 35 to 40 lbs at 6.5 months old. At the moment it looks like she got in a major fight and lost. Around her nose is swollen, her lips are swelling and around both eyes are swelling quite nicely. I ended up calling the vet back and said she's still swelling. Her breathing seems fine so far and we can give her more benadryl before bed. I've taken a picture, just need to get it from camera to computer and upload. She looks like hell :(

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Oh no....poor baby. I would be worried about the airway also if the swelling hasn't subsided yet. Was it just one sting that did all of that?

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
You can try a baking soda and water paste if you dont think she would lick it all off and also cold packs might help the swelling.

And here is the formula for the Benadryl
Give 1 mg per pound of body weight every 8–12 hours

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's the picture that was taken almost an hr ago. She swelled more after the pict was taken. I think it's finally stopped. Still not sure were exactly she got stung

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Look carefully for the stinger if you can find it. Remove it with some tweezers and then dab some rubbing alcohol on the site to disinfect it. Gosh, she looks terrible, the poor thing. I hope the swelling starts coming down soon. I don't think you'll be getting much sleep tonight :-\

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WeHeartLabs said:
I don't think you'll be getting much sleep tonight :-\
Nope.... don't think I'll be going to bed for awhile. And that picture is taken from her good side! Dug out the tweezers and rubbing alcohol... going to make hubby help hold Madison while we investigate.

Thanks for all your tips. :) They're VERY appreciated.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took another pict of Madison. Looked for a stinger but couldn't find one. Found a little spot where a stinger could possibly have been, just a slightly raised spot not far from her right eye. She's VERY restless and can't seem to get comfortable. Definetly won't be going to sleep for a while.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Poor baby! :( Definitely look in her mouth- along her cheeks, lips, gumline and tongue. Usually these guys end up chasing/snapping at bees and get stung in their mouths. The swelling doesn't always occur right where the stinger is...

I hope she's feeling better soon. Make sure you have the emergency vet's number on hand just in case the swelling starts to worsen. They can give injectable Benadryl and other meds there to help with the reaction. You should probably call them anyhow just to discuss allergic reactions with them. Also- if it happens once, the next time *could* be worse, so talk to your vet about your own little "bee sting kit" to have at home or for hiking, trips, etc.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just after 11pm here now and Madison has FINALLY settled down. All evening she's just been pacing and kinda anxious. I think even the pads of her feet itched! We're going to the vet tomorrow anyway to have her stitches out from her spay and I'm going to have them check her over really good and talk about "next time". What's strange, it wasn't really all that warm here today and the breeze was blowing, don't usually see bees out then. Guess there was something, somewhere. :( Glad the vets office opens at 8am, cuz that's what time we're going to be there. She also has other slight swelling going on.... but in a more personal area. Also saw some slight red spots on her belly where she's shaved from the spay.

Our poor puppy. :angel:

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
Just seeing this...
Poor Madison...I can so relate. Zoe swells up 2x more than that and she shakes uncontrollably. I'm so glad the benadryl helped her.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
hmm... Peanut's face swelled up like that, after she got into the garbage and ate something she shouldn't have (I won't even go into what it was, lets just say..:-X).... Are you sure it was a bee?

·
Registered
10,636 Posts
Izzy got stung by a wasp once in about the same spot. She swelled so much her face looked like a Shar pei and had to have I.V. steroids. Good luck...hope things are better today.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts