Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Dawn Williams, of South Tampa, who recently sold a chihuahua-dachshund designer mixed breed known as a chiwheenie by placing a newspaper classified ad, noted that a veterinary visit for shots, registration and neutering can get expensive.

"They should pay us to get them fixed," she said.

Noone should pay that lady anything :p

It is certainly an interesting concept. Although, the reasoning behind it is kinda..umm I don't know if that should be the reason for imposing such a law.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
It's just another money grab. Irresponsible owners won't pay it and responsible owners shouldn't have to.

The end result will be that people won't retrieve their dogs from the local pound because they won't or can't pay the extra money. More dogs will end up being put down.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
They just passed a new dog law in our county that raised the registration fees for intact dogs (I think cats too) to $50/year up from $35 and also put a law in effect that any animal picked up by animal control will be neutered/spayed before they can be claimed along with a large fee. They are saying it's to cut down on unwanted litters though. It's still kind of nuts. The big show here in town was hurt by the new law too because people were scared if their dogs got loose and picked up they would be fixed. AC said they would make exceptions in certain situations. They also put restrictions on intact dogs such as you can't use longer than a 4' lead out in public, and you can't use an e-fence to keep them on your property. There is a lot more too.

G

·
In Rapid City the dog registration for an intact dog is very high. You have to pay that yearly which can add up. In the long run it's much cheaper to just pay to get your dog fixed.

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I seen this on the news the other night. Its only for hillsborough county right? I didn't read everything. But from what the news said it didn't sound like a bad thing. Has it been approved yet. Sorry can't open link, but i know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Mambo said:
I seen this on the news the other night. Its only for hillsborough county right? I didn't read everything. But from what the news said it didn't sound like a bad thing. Has it been approved yet. Sorry can't open link, but i know what you are talking about.
Not just limited to Hillsborough County. There are so-called animal rights groups out to put laws like this in every state. The limitations are ridiculous, very restrictive. Basically they want dogs spayed and neutered at 4 months. If you have a show kennel, you are screwed. Also, the people it's meant to target, in theory, the irresponsible owners who never license their dogs, will not be affected by it all. Responsible owners license their pets, control their animals, keep up to date on vet care, etc. Unless they have a squad going out door to door forcing people to license their dogs, how can they keep track of non-licensed animals?

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
kiddsmom said:
Not just limited to Hillsborough County. There are so-called animal rights groups out to put laws like this in every state. The limitations are ridiculous, very restrictive. Basically they want dogs spayed and neutered at 4 months. If you have a show kennel, you are screwed. Also, the people it's meant to target, in theory, the irresponsible owners who never license their dogs, will not be affected by it all. Responsible owners license their pets, control their animals, keep up to date on vet care, etc. Unless they have a squad going out door to door forcing people to license their dogs, how can they keep track of non-licensed animals?
Exactly! Here they actually admited that only 15% of the county animals were thought to actually be licenced. So if the irresponsible per owners out there are not licencing their pet for $35/year do you really think they will for $50/year. I DON'T!! And our Animal Control doesn't have the staff to enforce it so it won't change. They also limited the amount of dogs you could keep outside on certain sized lots and all sorts of other stuff.

G

·
Where I live there is a higher fee for a dog license if you have an intact animal and they require proof of spay or neuter to get the discounted rate.

AND --- they do go door to door to check. The cops go out through neighborhoods usually in early summer. I guess you could say they have not got a whole lot to do around here!

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
In Maricopa County it cost $45 to register an unaltered pet and $12 a fixed animal. You have to register them the first time when they get their rabies shots. But as the fee for late registration is only $1.00 per month it was cheaper to wait until I had Cinnamon fixed at 6 months then to register her at 4 months.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Dawn Williams, of South Tampa, who recently sold a chihuahua-dachshund designer mixed breed known as a chiwheenie by placing a newspaper classified ad, noted that a veterinary visit for shots, registration and neutering can get expensive.

"They should pay us to get them fixed," she said.
:-X

I think it's a great idea, but I like it for cutting down on unwanted litters. I don't know if it will really address a dog bite problem. ???

1 - 14 of 14 Posts