Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my neighbor has a Lab mix (I posted pics a while ago) who is starting to become possessive of high-reward treats, like rawhides, marrow bones, etc.

She asked me what she should do, and first off, I said she should get all of the rawhides, bones, etc and put them away permanently or until she gets this under control. I also told her she should think about contacting a trainer, but she is tight on money and can't really afford it.

She said he is fine with toys and things like that, but not with high-reward treats.

So what would you all suggest? Trying to teach the dog "trade"?

TIA!

Justine

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I know this is something that people do successfully train out of their dogs - but when I have encountered it in mine - they just don't get that stuff anymore. And - mine never did display that behavior when I had just one dog - it was the competition that inspired the high value guarding in my house.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
How is the dog being possessive? Is she growling or is she just holding onto them with her paws? Can your friend take the treats away once the dog has them?

If the dog is possessive bordering on aggression the treats need to be taken away. However the dog needs to be trained to not be possessive because I'd worry the dog would develop possessivness with other toys/treats/etc.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
another ditto! very good information and how-to tips in this booklet.

http://www.dogwise.com/itemdetails.cfm?ID=DTB740
Another ditto! It's super affordable and full of good information :)

I know the solution for Jake has been - no rawhides, no marrow bones, no high value (to Jake) chews. Ever. We just don't do it anymore. He's a lab so he's perfectly happy with nylabones to chew. He does not get kongs "in public," so only by himself and only in a room or crate away from other people and dogs.

We taught "trade" for when he gets stuff he randomly decides to guard as his own and it works wonderfully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts