Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took Dozer in for his yearly check up yesterday at a new vets office. This new vet ran a test for lyme exposure/heartworm and some other stuff that our old vet had never done before. Well, the good news is that he's heartworm negative, but the bad news is that he tested positive for lyme exposure and anaplasma. They gave him a month's worth of antibiotics and then we will check back in after he's finished them and take it from there.

Has anyone else dealt with this? I don't know what to expect, if anything.

The second issue is Dozer's weight. When we got him, he was a full grown adult and only weighed 42 lbs. :( Currently, he's weighing in at 69 lbs which is a bit chunky for him. I have no clue how to go about getting him to lose weight. We've already cut back on his treats (he only gets a couple of small dog biscuits a day), and he gets 2 cups of dog food a day (Eukanuba Large Breed Senior). He needs to lose about 5 - 7 lbs. We are working on increasing excercise. Do you guys think that we should cut back on the food, or keep the food the same and increase the exercise?

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Hi! We met at the Lab Fest at Crow Hassen last year. I forget how big Dozer was then, and surprised that the vet didn't give you some guidance. The quantity of food is really dependent on what food you are feeding. i.e. My son's lab has to be kept on the light side and is fed a low cal food, but 2 cups of it twice a day. HK at 56 lbs is fed 3/4 cup (Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice) twice a day. In a discussion with a vet, not my own, she recommended reducing a dogs intake by 25% if weight is an issue. Keep it there for several months and then adjust based on the results. Need to get them out to the dog parks to run with the fur friends. Today and tomorrow owuld be good days before the temps drop for the weekend. ;)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
but the bad news is that he tested positive for lyme exposure and anaplasma. They gave him a month's worth of antibiotics
Macy, too! We just finished the antiobiotics a week or so ago and they are going to vaccinate her tomorrow when she gets spayed.

She's absolutely fine and the antiobiotics didn't make any difference in her behavior or anything.
He'll be fine! :happy:

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh, interesting about the false-positive from vaccination. Didn't know that.

About the weight...I think I'd try decreasing the portions ever-so-slightly and see what happens. If you are at a cup 2x a day, take it down to 3/4 or even 7/8 cup.

It really is dependent on the food...we've switched a few times, and on some foods we can get away with feeding a level cup. With others, they start to chunk out and we have to cut it back as described above.

Increased exercise will help as well! :D

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I wouldn't give a Lyme vaccine under any circumstances. Too many reactions, IMO. I'd rather treat for Lyme than vaccinate for it. Plus if the dog gets bit again and has had the Lyme vaccine, all hell can break loose with arthritic type problems.

I've tested positive for Lyme twice and one of the dogs did too. We treated.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Kallie tested positive for Lyme..She had a month's worth of antibiotics and has been just fine since!!! She also, needs to lose 5-7 lbs..we are upping the exercise and cutting back on the treats..Good Luck!!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
AngusFangus said:
Oh, interesting about the false-positive from vaccination. Didn't know that.

About the weight...I think I'd try decreasing the portions ever-so-slightly and see what happens. If you are at a cup 2x a day, take it down to 3/4 or even 7/8 cup.

It really is dependent on the food...we've switched a few times, and on some foods we can get away with feeding a level cup. With others, they start to chunk out and we have to cut it back as described above.

Increased exercise will help as well! :D
You can also add things like green beans to his food in place of some of the food. I.e. if you feed 1 cup 2x a day, feed 3/4 cup kibble and add a few green beans. :happy: It's pretty easy. I'm pretty sure Bob Pr. suggested that in a previous thread and he just gets the big bag at Costco/Sam's Club and takes some out of the freezer when needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts