Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://davart.net/awg/?p=915
http://docs.house.gov/rules/omni/jes/divbjes_111_hromni2009_jes.pdf

All (except for those last minute sneak ins) of them can be found in the bill if you study it. Just drop down to about page 140 and beyond to see what pork you can find, there is pork all threw it but a lot seems to start around there … leave a comment with your find and I’ll add it to the list … I’ve got REAL work to do … you know the stuff that pays, so I can pay taxes and pay for pork.

Here’s a tiny, tiny bit of what I and others have found …

$1,500,000 earmark to study seals

$200,000 for King Crab Research

$250,000 “for deployment of security cameras in 15 different business districts”

$200,000 pork for “Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program”

$75,0000 earmark for “Totally Teen Zone” (What the hell is that?)

$400,000 to “to combat bullying” (combat bullying? Isn’t that a oxymoron somehow?)

$2,000,000 for “for the promotion of astronomy in Hawaii”

$4,400,000 for a “Center for Grape Genetics” & “Center for Advanced Viticulture and Tree Crop Research”

$1,762,000 earmark for “Honey Bee lab”$200,000 to study “Chronic Wasting Disease” (What the hell is that?)

$480,000 in for “Urban Horticulture”

$94,000 in the Ag bill for a farmers market in Brooklyn NYC

$700,000 to research coral reefs in Hawaii

$100,000 for Maine Lobster research

$95,000 earmark to “combat obesity” (Hey don’t eat pork, problem solved, next ..)

$473,000 for National Council of LaRaza

$5,800,000 earmark for “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate… for the planning and design of a building & an endowment”

$215,000 earmark 4 PhD press releases! “Stony Brook U for program to teach scientists how to communicate w/ press”

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I'm guessing anything with "Maine" in it was to get those two republicans from that state to vote on it so it'd pass.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
Tattoo Removal Violence Prevention Outreach Program
Great band-name.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate… for the planning and design of a building & an endowment
Ted Kennedy needs an endowment?

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
$4,400,000 for a “Center for Grape Genetics” & “Center for Advanced Viticulture and Tree Crop Research”

$1,762,000 earmark for “Honey Bee lab”$200,000 to study “Chronic Wasting Disease” (What the hell is that?)

$95,000 earmark to “combat obesity” (Hey don’t eat pork, problem solved, next ..)

$473,000 for National Council of LaRaza

$5,800,000 earmark for “Ted Kennedy Institute for the Senate… for the planning and design of a building & an endowment”
Perhaps I am missing something here, but what on god's green earth are they spending $12,000,000 pluss for Grape Genetics & Advanced Viticulture, A Hony Bee Lab, National Council of LaRaza and an endowment for Teddy... but only $95,000 for obesity. :mad:

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Perhaps I am missing something here, but what on god's green earth are they spending $12,000,000 pluss for Grape Genetics & Advanced Viticulture, A Hony Bee Lab, National Council of LaRaza and an endowment for Teddy... but only $95,000 for obesity. :mad:
To create jobs and get the economy rolling of course.

(Say it out loud.....it sounds even more stupid.) :)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I've been digging a little and I'm fairly sure this is fake.

Documents for the house are kept at the Library of Congress page... this is the final version...
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1.enr:

Hopefully that link works... if not... goto loc.gov or thomas.loc.gov and there is a link on the front page for the stimulus bill.

I've been just browsing through the stimulus bill and I am not finding any of the things you listed. Granted the bill is 1100 pages or so... but I'm sorry I'm not blindly trusting a site with "angry white guy" in the title.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
Hmmmm.....this thread is deathly void of Obama worshippers.

Anyone care to defend these pork projects?

<looking around the room> Anyone? Anyone?
I'm not sure you or anyone else can tell from the info in the OP which of these are "pork".

I would imagine that the grape industry employs a large number of illegal and legal aliens. Research into improving grape crops may be worthwhile.

I didn't hear Jindal's speech, but apparently he lambasted money spent on volcano monitoring. Turns out similar projects saved millions of dollars of our military equipment in the Phillipines.

So it is easy to provide a flip comment that these are pork. And some or all of them may be. But without any knowledge of the underlying project [and none of us have that knowledge] it is hard to say, but easy to ridicule.

I'm leaving in a few minutes and probably will have limited access for the next few days. So let me say in advance that I disagree with most comments that Dweck, Snoflake, Midwest, Gundogpa, Tundra and others will post over the next few days. But I do hope they have a great weekend.

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been digging a little and I'm fairly sure this is fake.

Documents for the house are kept at the Library of Congress page... this is the final version...
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c111:H.R.1.enr:

Hopefully that link works... if not... goto loc.gov or thomas.loc.gov and there is a link on the front page for the stimulus bill.

I've been just browsing through the stimulus bill and I am not finding any of the things you listed. Granted the bill is 1100 pages or so... but I'm sorry I'm not blindly trusting a site with "angry white guy" in the title.

its appears to be a blog like Huffington

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
All bills, regardless of party author, will have pork. Pork happens. What's worse is when good programs do stupid **** with funding or fail to execute them on time. It' great to throw money into problem but better to manage the project well.

Manage and mangle are only a few letters apart.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I know the AngryWhiteGuy is a blog... I'm saying the link to "docs.house.gov" doesn't look like an official site.. it looks fake to me. Especially since the house stores its' documents on the library of congress page.

So the document that the blog is using as a "reference" is of unknown origin... therefore probably not accurate. Why use that when the real thing is published?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I know the AngryWhiteGuy is a blog... I'm saying the link to "docs.house.gov" doesn't look like an official site.. it looks fake to me. Especially since the house stores its' documents on the library of congress page.

So the document that the blog is using as a "reference" is of unknown origin... therefore probably not accurate. Why use that when the real thing is published?

because it was right there :) my bad

·
Registered
12,170 Posts

I'd say this one is actually pretty important. Considering the honey bee is dying for mysterious reasons right across North America, an entire industry could depend upon it. Sure, it's not big like banks or auto workers, but important nonetheless. The thing to remember is that some of these things may not be important to you, but they are important to certain groups, so why not try to understand the reasons for including them?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts