Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We were just coming to the end of our "off lead" walk when she was attacked by a Lurcher :'(. Apparently the other dog wanted the tennis ball that she was carrying in her mouth. Poppy has been bitten on her right hip (her really badly dysplaced hip!!) and she has a slight cut in the corner of her right eye. I am so cross...this dog has attacked before (from what the owner said), so knowing that she had a dog that would attack another she had it off lead in a huge popular dog walking area. :mad:
I can still hear Poppy's screams now and this happened 5 hours ago. She seems okay, but i will keep an eye (pardon the pun) on her eye injury to make sure that it does not become infected.
I just hope that this does not affect Poppy in her behaviour to other dogs. Prior to this incident she was the most submissive dog i have ever known....she was completely innocent!

Michelle

·
Registered
85 Posts
sorry to hear that. this is truly our worst fear. it has happened before to logan about 2 months ago and i can still hear the way he cried like it was yesterday. has since healed up, and he is resilient as ever, he acts as though it never happened! hopefully poppy will be the same way.

·
Registered
5,503 Posts
I'm so sorry. It's horrifying to see your dog attacked by another dog. It happened to us last summer. If my husband had not tackled the other dog, I don't know if Scotty would be even alive. We were in shock and wanted to get away to "lick our wounds." By the time we came back to get the people's license plate number (at a camping site), they were long gone. Scotty recovered physically and emotionally.

I am not sure if the police can do much for you since Poppy was off-leash, but in many states, if your dog is attached to you by a leash, an attack on the dog is considered to be an attack (assault/battery) on the owner.

I hope that Poppy will be ok. Do you have EMT gel or Neosporin? You can probably clean the would with peroxide and put some EMT get or neosporin on it. Better yet, let a vet take a look at it. Sending healing thoughts to Poppy.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Poor Poppy! I hope she heals quickly and it does not leave any emotional scars. Gracie was attacked a few years ago on Halloween. She was on lead and when we walked past this one house, you could hear the dog going nuts behind the fence. Well, we got about 6-7 houses down the street and all of a sudden this dog came out of nowhere and just latched onto her throat. The owners were running dow the street calling it, but there was no way this dog was giving up, he really wanted a piece of her! Thank God my husband was there...he did kick it once in the chest (he was wearing his steel toed work boots) but he kept circling trying to get back to Gracie. I was so glad she had on her bandana that night, I think that is the only reason this beast could not get a good grip on her neck and he didn't break the skin. Poor Gracie was terrified...she has never been quite the same around other dogs since then.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What really angers me is the womans response (when she finally managed to get her yob under control) - well he is a rescue dog! Well excuse me, obviously i should have known!!! Our last dog was a rescue dog and he hated other dogs, especially when i fell pregnant, and as a result he was never let off the lead when other dogs were in the vicinity. We are in the UK and i am not quite sure how the law stands...the lady did offer to give us her telephone number but we did not think that Poppy had sustained any really serious injuries.

Michelle

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you -- it's very scary. I would have a vet take a look at those wounds -- if they are puncture wounds -- those can get nasty if not treated. I hope she is OK. Some people GRRRRR :mad:

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
I am so sorry to hear this happened to poppy. I don't condone the behavior of the woman or her dog, but alteast she gave you her number and was 'semi' responsible. Wish she would have been responsible and kept that dog away from poppy in the first place.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
That is just awful. I'm sorry. Please give your girl a big hug. That woman should have known better then to have her dog off-leash.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Oh dear, I'm sorry this happened to Poppy. I hope she's all better, and too hope it doesn't effect how she is with other dogs.

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
I hope Poppy has no lasting scars...emotional or physical from this. Like others, I think I'd let the vet have a look.It will put your mind at ease. Hopefully, the other woman learned her lesson and will leash her dog when out from now on.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Awwww.... poor Poppy........ that is just horrible !! I would have been so angery, I probably would have said things to that woman, that weren't very nice !! ((((hugs)))) to Poppy..
Melissa
;)

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
PM Trickster. She's in the UK and would know about the laws or how to find out about the laws. It's worth pursuing.

I'm sorry!

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I'm so sorry that happened to you. How scary for Poppy and you. Dog owners need to be realistic about the temperment of their pets and keep the appropriate control over them. If the dog has any history of going after another dog, it's prudent to keep them on leash until the owner can get a behaviorist to help them train the aggression out of them. (If possible) It's just not fair to other dog owners, and at least over here, you can be held responsible for damages to the dog, and Heaven help you if their owner gets bit trying to save their dog.

I'd be angry at the owners too if it happened to Mickey.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Poor Poppy, I hope she is feeling better.

Eddie was attacked at the bark park a year or so ago and he was very wary around other dogs for a while. He is a scaredy cat anyway so we didn't need this to happen, he wasn't hurt though so we were thankful for that.

It never ceases to amaze me the owner's responses in situations like this- keep the dog leashed if he is agressive!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts