Just Labradors banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took both the dogs to work with me today to get microchipped - OUCH! But Kolby's ears are still not doing great. He was on a round of topical ointment and steroids to calm down his ears, which kind of helped, but not much. Then they flared up again so we did another kind of ointment, but again, didn't do much.

My vet looked at his ears again today and said he might have an inner ear infection on the one side! Poor boy. So now he's on antibiotics for a week to see if it helps clear them up.

I'm switching him to grain-free, so let's see where this takes us. He is very painful when I touch his one ear, so I hope this helps him feel better!

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep.. it definitely takes 2-3 months to show any signs for diet change.. which sucks! He was on the Pro Plan Selects for 2 months, but I also started him on a whole bunch of other supplements when I got him, so who knows what's really making a difference here.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
So sorry to hear that, Justine!
Lola's are a bit better, she's still on her topical, too. I didn't start the oral antifungal, yet, as she has such a sensative stomach.
She's on EVO now (herring and salmon), but her poops are not as firm as I'd like, and I can't feed her any less. Bugger!!!!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Fingers crossed for him.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
We had problems like this with Jobe, the more they gave antibiotics, the worst the infection got...My GYN told me to try Monistat (I use the generic brand) on his yeasty ears...sure enough I started using the cream on his ears and the yeast infection went away..We have had NO problems with his ears (this from the dog who has horribly scarred ears from prior owners), the ears get a lil gunky, but not yeasty...Try this and see what happens...If you think about it...humans get a yeast infection after being on antibiotics, so would a dog..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts