·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went for a canal walk this afternoon, Jasmine has been showing us her

love of water by diving into puddles these past few weeks and so we decided

it was time to "test the water!"

She absolutely loved it and was soon swimming smoothly, navigating

obstacles, changing direction, literally like a duck to water.

Jed on the other hand panicked, he was splashing frantically, and going

nowhere, he wasn't the least bit streamline and was foaming at the mouth in

panic. We immediately got him out of course and he was shaking, I know I've

joked in the past about his aversion to water, but is it commonplace for a lab

to be scared to that extent and is there anything I can do to help conquer

his fear?

We won't ever force him again as he truly was petrified, Jasmine on the other

hand looks like she might like it as a regular treat.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
You might try going in with him sometime. *shugs* Dunno if it will work. Mine all love the water so I don't really know.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Can you go in the water with him? (when weather permits) When Judy was young, she too did the frantic dog paddle and went nowhere. I went in next to her, arms under her belly to make her feel secure, pulled her out over her head, and slowly let go... frantic dog paddle... arms back under lifting rear end. Holding her back end up made her naturally kick back feet which made her horizontal in the water, swimming naturally. It took a few times before she got the feel of kicking all four legs under water. Now she swims well and has no fear of going in.
Poor Jed. I hope Jasmine doesn't make fun of him or call him chicken.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Poor Jed I dont know what to suggest, Alfie loves water

Have you tried i warmer weather of course taking him to the beach and getting in the sea with him?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Champ loves water, Buddy won't go deeper than his belly. Even with a dozen other dogs swimming, Buddy wouldn't go any further. Some dogs just don't like water. NEVER force a dog to swim, you will make their aversion to it even stronger.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
be careful going in with him if you hold him. i did that with zoe; she was terrified of the water. i didn't realize her legs were kicking the fool out of my legs under water and i had bruises for weeks.
she finally learned after we got River. River loved to retrieve in the water and she finally went in chasing him. now she loves to go on her own but. i tried everything from going in with her, holding her in the water, tossing hot dogs and treats in there and River is the one that got her in.

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Do you have any hydrotherapy pools near you? that way you can get in the water with him without being subjected to swimming in the icky English sea. ;)

If not, you might want to dry a doggy life jacket. You should take him somewhere that has a sloped entry into the water. By canal, I'm guessing you mean a man made one with just a sudden drop from the bank into the water? if that was his first 'real' swimming attempt, I can see why that might freak out a dog that is less than confident in the water.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I wonder if you put a dog floatation vest on him if that will help? Cooper swims 'okay', he looks like he's having a seizure when he first goes in, due to his excitement of being in the water - flailing front legs and the whole bit. After a couple of retrieves, he gets into the "swim of things"! We occasionally put a vest on him, if we are going to be around the water a lot - he gets tired but will not stop going. The vest is a peace of mind thing for us (okay, ME). If Jed has the vest on, it might be a comfort to him as well - our lab loves having something wrapped around him, it has a calming effect on him I have noticed. Just an idea. I do like the idea of going in with him. Let us know how that works out.

Bev.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Abbey hates swimming, but she can swim very well. Even at the 2 Labfests we've been to with 10+ labs running in and out of the water, she wouldn't do it. I tried getting in the water with her many times and coaxing her out, holding her belly, etc and I tried a lifevest. Still hates it!

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Mine both like the water, and never had any trouble. But I remember when Skippy's mom first was in water "over her head". We have little creeks and streams around here, but she never had to swim very much. I took her to the New River and let her jump in. She would do OK, then had these periods where she just "thrashed in place" and had some real trouble. So even if they like water, and have swam before, they can still get into trouble if they aren't very experienced.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ doesn't like to swim either. I've gone in with him, held him, bought him a lifevest - he makes a beeline for shore. He will stand in the river though with us just doesn't like to go out to the point where his tummy gets wet. Not to keen on going out in the rain either.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Aww, poor Jed. It took Jenica about three years until she went swimming. She is still not a big fan and will only swim to retrieve something when no other dog is going for the same item.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
That frantic thrashing is the result of not using the hind legs. Most first time swimmers do that and then almost like a miracle they start kicking with the hind legs, level out, and actually start swimming. Perhaps a life vest will help with the fear factor initially and also you going in the water with him.

·
Registered
8,812 Posts
Aww, poor Jed. I hope he can overcome his fear of the water. Mine don't seem afraid, but won't go in water over their knees. I have this huge pond and they just sit along the bank and look at it. Strange labs.

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
How old is he? HK loved to run in the shallows but was terrified if she couldn't touch. Then at 9 months, she decided to swim and hasn't stopped. Oh! There must be something thrown for her to swim out and bring back.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
You might try going in with him sometime. *shugs* Dunno if it will work. Mine all love the water so I don't really know.
Kate we had to do this with Milly. She was so not interested in swimming!!!! We both went in and left her on her own on the shore. Well, she so was not interested in that more and frantically paddled out after us!! :)

Ever since, swimming has been growing on her! So much so that she totally wore herself out at a lagoon a few weekends ago just swimming around because she felt like it! Didn't even need to chuck a ball in to entice her.

Good Luck with Jed - and boy does Jasmine look so cute all wet in that last picture!!

Cheers Sarah

1 - 20 of 20 Posts