Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need your help! Everytime I take Pi for a walk he poops like 2 or 3 times. It's not a normal solid poop it's always runny. His poop is normal all other times. Any ideas?

K

·
0 Posts
When Dakota was a puppy and we did long walks or played really hard she would have really loose poop.. :-\

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Eddei does that constantly at the bark park. He is 3 in July. He is marking. He likes to think he is top dog.................. hasn't figured out that hiding behind my back for protection now and again is NOT proving his point.......

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Walking or activity will make the dog have the urge to go. It also might make the poop soft. Aside from having the dog poop in the yard before you go (not always possible I know) I can't really think of a way around it. Are the poops very difficult to pick up?

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
What are you feeding?

When we first got Larry, he had HORRIBLE runny poops during exercise. They were okay (not great) during non-exercise times, but walks brought out the worst poops ever.

We changed his food from ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach to Nature's Variety Lamb, and this improved a LOT. We've since done one more food change, and his poops have gotten even better. At this point, it's pretty rare to get a bad poop, even during exercise.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
You might want to try a food change. That really does help with their poops.

We fed Larry the ProPlan Sensitive S&S for months, thinking he was doing well on it. It wasn't until we changed his food that we realized he could be doing even better- he has better energy, thicker coat, and MUCH better poops. I'm a huge believer in the power of a food change now! :D

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
How old is Pi? If he's still a pup (like in your pics), then I'd suggest a large breed puppy food like Eagle Pack or Innova. Eagle Pack is what Larry is currently on, and this is the best he's ever looked and acted. My mom's labs are also on Eagle Pack, and they look the absolute best they ever have- and she's tried TONS of kibbles.

The downside of these foods is that they are more expensive than Purina One. On the other hand, you can usually feed less since they're getting more nutrients out of a higher end kibble.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I'm not sure what age to switch from puppy food to regular adult food, unfortunately. Others on the board could certainly give you more information about this.

I forgot to say that we feed Eagle Pack Holistic Selects line. :)

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Changing kibble might be worth a shot if it is really bothering you. If I didn't feed what I am feeding now (I'm in the UK so the food I feed is unavailable in the US) I would probably feed Eagle Pack.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We switched Chance from Purina One Lamb and Rice (which was giving him soft poops) to "Nutri - something?" (a good food from a local pet food supplier) but had problems with it. Next we tried "Purina ONE® Large Breed Adult Formula" which is similar to lamb and rice, but has chicken as it's first ingredient. That helped with his "digestion".
BUT he still likes to poop lots on our walks... sometimes twice in one walk, even after pooping at home! I think it's because he like to spread around his stinkyness :) And it does get softer the more he poops, which is unpleasant to pick up... I guess there is no getting around that.

·
Registered
922 Posts
At 9 months of age you could certainly quit the puppy food and feed a good quality adult food. I feed Eagle Pack and am a big believer in it. I have fed many, many foods and just haven't gotten the great results with other foods that I am now getting from the Eagle Pack. Eagle Pack has a great large breed puppy food if you want to keep your dog on puppy food, otherwise their Holistic Chicken and Rice food would be a good choice.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Boomer does this too. In fact, on long walks, he will poop 6-7 times (always soft) and by the end it's just a small amount of runny drippy stuff.

He has probably been on 4-5 different foods his entire life..we've been happiest with Purina One Lamb & Rice. No matter what we were feeding him, he has always always done this....I just chalk it up to the excitement he always has about going for a walk.

??? ???

1 - 20 of 20 Posts