Just Labradors banner

Which option most accurately describes your dogs poop: (you can choose up to three options, if your

• Firm all the time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Firm most of the time, soft/runny sometimes

• Never really firm, but mostly able to be picked up

• Firm sometimes, soft/runny sometimes (in somewhat equal measures)

• Soft/runny/diarrhea most/all of the time

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As Connie said in the vomit thread, "where else can I ask this..??" :D

I'm having some "poop issues" with Baloo, and I'm wondering what kind of experiences others have had with their labs poop for comparison.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Well, I'll take the plunge and be the first to post!

The vast majority of the time, Tal's is firm. Makes for easy clean up. Occasionally, it is a little soft and that's about it. He's only had dirrhea once...hope I never have to live thru that again!

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Alright!! Next to vomit, my most favorite thing to talk about is poop! :D :D :D

And believe it or not, I am eating lunch at this very moment. 8)

Angus is always firm. And especially since we've switched to Timberwolf, OMIGOSH! They are perfect. Just like Bob Pr always talks about: Little golf-ball sized lumps, SO easy to pick up!

Simon has always been soft-serve since he came home with us. We saw some improvement on Fromms from Canidae, but the real improvement has come with Timberwolf. His are still not quite as firm and small as Angus', but at least you can pick them up fairly easily now. :)

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
Always firm and I can tell who's poop is whose!! :laugh:

Baloo is probably too young for the foods you have been trying him on. I went through the same issues when Zoe was that age (isn't he 7 months)? I tried to feed her the higher end foods and could not get a solid poop for anything. After she got older, she's able to eat pretty much anything and not have that problem any more. I did find out that she was very sensitive to dairy (yogurt) products.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Rush and Boo both have perfect turds. It has been much better since we switched to Nutro Lamb & Rice. They do look like logs, and it amazes me how big they are. ::) I think my girls are full of shi#, they must get it from their daddy. ;D

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
When Phoebe was about Baloo's age, she went through a period where her poop was soft-serve most of the time. We ended up figuring out it was Milk Bones that were doing it...we were at the point of trying out a bunch of treats. Now we just kinda know what works and so almost all the time, her poops are solid. We feed the President's Choice Nutrition 1st stuff and she seems good on it.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
ginger's is firm most of the time. only times it is not is after the morning poop if i take her to swim or if she runs a lot. when she's finished playing she poops and its usually soft serve. if i take her in the afternoon she doesn't poop until after dinner and its firm. so she gets most of her exercise in the afternoons!!

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
(1) Firm logs
(2) One bout with diarrhea in 9 months (Tentalively blamed of too much Wellness used as treats.
(3) Goes soft when switiching food, (One transition from uk LBP to Kirkland C&R) Even firmer since then.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
AngusFangus said:
Angus is always firm. And especially since we've switched to Timberwolf, OMIGOSH! They are perfect. Just like Bob Pr always talks about: Little golf-ball sized lumps, SO easy to pick up!
HAHAHA!! Poor Bob. Bob, the epitaph on your gravestone will read, "The man knew his poop." :D

We also have found that the food makes all the difference. Theo does best with no grains. But even the best food can't overpower the strength of "dietary indiscretion"--i.e., cat poop, dead mouse, dead fish, bum poop, trash, expired deli meat, you name it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Jonah's 2nd morning poop (he does one first thing when he gets up and then does another about 10 minutes later) is always soft. Every other poop of the day is mostly hard. We went through a month of soft poops; switching foods made a difference to us. Also cut out the treats that weren't grain free.

Kate, is Baloo still having poop issues on his new food? How about treats?

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Firm a MAJORITY of the time...when it get's soft or they boys get stinky, I know their tummies are not right. Their poo is small in size.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Libby - firm all the time.
Teko - mostly pudding w/lumps in it! I cheer him on when it's a log!!!

When I poop scoop the yard, it looks like they invited friends over to sh&t in the yard! How much can two dogs poop in one day!!! :-X

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
One of the reasons I never want to switch food is Sammi has nice firm poops twice a day at most 3! If there is a change, I know she has gotten in to something!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
cinder poos like a horse. i can't believe such a little dog can poo such big piles. it hurts me just looking at her and abbey does little rabbit poos and leaves a trail as she walks from one area to another. they both have firm poos so it's easy to clean up on our walks but boy, the smell is enough to kill someone.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Skippy has fairly firm poops, but if he gets nervous or excitied it gets alot softer. He always goes at least twice a day and sometimes 3 times a day. Luckily for me it's in our woods and I never have to clean up poop. Emilu's is always solid, and she sometimes goes once a day, sometimes twice a day and other times only everyother day. I only saw her have a large very soft stool once - almost in the training gym, although I managed to get her outside in time - couldn't really clean it all up out of the grass :-\ I feed them Innova Evo , which I think has helped to firm up both of their poops. I can just about manage to pick it up in "one handful" the few times I've had to pick them up with a plactic bag.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Yeller can be soft serve, depending on what she's eaten. Or mostly firm/soft. Abby is pretty soft.

But I have to confess, I'm toying with the idea of taking and posting a pic of the motherload softserve Abby had at 4:00 a.m. this morning. It's pretty funny. It's HUGE. Perfect puddle.

I shouldn't have fed her turkey last night. :eek:

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts