Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have one??
Kimba has been eating his right after he goes lately. I don't know why. Anyone know what this could be about?
It sure sucks having a nice yard and then we have to accompany him to potty in fear that he will eat his crap. And he is FAST too- he gobbled up a whole piling tonight while I was trying to get my shoes on to get him :mad:

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Rocky is a poo eater.

I WISH my problem were just keeping my yard clean. I don't have a yard and one cannot even dream of a dog park with no poop. So be happy you have a yard and that with the extra effort at least your pup has a clean place to run!

There are products on the market, the results seem to vary quite abit. Since he eats his own so fast it might be worth a shot.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have one too. She likes our other dog's poo better and watches them for the signs. She stands behind them and gobbles it up before it hits the ground. She likes it fresh from the source. I can't get out with the dogs everytime one of them wants out, so it is a 50-50 shot I can stop her. She doesn't seem to be interested in the poop in the parks etc., but them again, it isn't fresh. YUK!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Mischasmom said:
I have one too. She likes our other dog's poo better and watches them for the signs. She stands behind them and gobbles it up before it hits the ground. She likes it fresh from the source. I can't get out with the dogs everytime one of them wants out, so it is a 50-50 shot I can stop her. She doesn't seem to be interested in the poop in the parks etc., but them again, it isn't fresh. YUK!!!!!!!!!
Lucky you! At least if she's eating your other dog's poo (or for Kimba, her own) you KNOW they won't pick up an extra bugs. Rock prefers OTHER poops so he's picking up all the bugs and worms you can imagine!

But still...eww!

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
:-X :-X :-X

The only time I've ever seen Thor eat his own poop was after it had been frozen under snow (it was the first time he had ever seen snow). GROSS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
This is a preventable problem. Try adding some pineapple to his food for a few days and see if that works. If not, try getting some pills from the vet. In the unlikely event neither of those work you just have to be extra vigilant. At least it means your yard stays clean. ;)

·
Registered
745 Posts
Kody started this just this winter. In the fall I noticed he was searching the yard for bunny droppings (we have a lot of rabbits in our area). Then I saw him with some of his own that was frozen. Now I keep a close eye on him when he goes out. Since the weather has warmed up, I haven't seen him do it. I am thinking maybe he prefers them frozen like poosicles. :-X

The pineapple suggestion is knew to me. I'll remember that one. ;)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
The pills, the pineapple, the powder ..whatever it may be has never worked in my home and I have never heard of it honestly working for others. When it did it was only temporary. They just ended up acquiring a taste for the new thing.

I accompany my dogs for their potty, pick it up and they they can play in the yard. Or I watch them from the house and tell them "leave it". This normally works until I can get out there to get it picked up. The flip side of all this poo picking up is when the snow thaws I have one clean yard! ;D

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Bailey loves to eat poo and they throw it up later . But honestly since the last time a few weeks ago when I total lost itand was ready to give her to anyone who wanted her (not really true but I was pretty fed up) she (knock on wood) hasn't touched it. I have really been watching her (hoping to catch her in the act to I can tell her leave it etc) and she hasn't touched it so when she comes in I ask her if she ate poo. when she does she takes off. when she doesn't she looks at me . so then I praise her and give a treat and tell her how good she is. so now she knows she hasn't ate poo and come it in all excited to tell me she didn't . it seems to be working.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
First, yuk.

Second, when my dachshund would eat the cat's poop, it was because of the high concentration in protein in her food that ended up in her poop.

Maybe that's what is motivating your dog to eat his.....???

1 - 12 of 12 Posts