Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the pool toys we have purchased, get trashed pretty quickly. I was wondering what you use for your lab's pool toys?
There is one toy from pet smart, clear blue ball on a yellow rope- they chewed the ball and separated it from the rope.

We only let them use pool toys in the pool, so it's not like theyre chewing on them all day inside. This is just wear and tear from playing in the pool. Emma is a toy destroyer. Her mission is to disassemble, de-stuff, destroy any toy. ::)

Exceptions
Hartz Aqua Pals - AWESOME product! Both dogs love this, it leaks water, you can freeze it, they cannot chew it to pieces.(pet smart)
Good old fashioned bumpers work great, too as long as they ae used for retrieving sessions only and put away after.
Tennis balls

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
We don't have a pool, but at the beach, I've seen dogs retrieve those floating kongs. It does have a rope on one end.

Also, those yellow bars ??? looks like tennis ball material. It's about 8 inches long.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
I'm going to put in a vote for the floating kong ;)

Abby and Molly loved theirs until My dad threw it out too far into the bay last summer and a boat went by and it went bye byes out into the current somewhere :eek:

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ok...i'll have to get a couple.

And the floating 8inch yellow bar thing... I know what you mean...saw them at Pet Smart. I'll try one of them too.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Theo's absolute favorite pool toy is a volleyball with a velcro strap around it so you can latch onto it with your mouth. I'm not sure who makes it (belongs to friends of ours), but this is what it looks like:

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Hey Cinnamon has a soccer and basket ball like Theo has. Mom bought them at Costco for her. We haven't tried those in the pool. Cinnamon has a floating football with a roap attached from Petco also.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Dakota has the floating kong just like Lily's ..... she retrieves for hours unless I put it away !!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Oh POOL TOYS! Murray's favorite subject! ;D

Murray is very hard on all of his toys. The ones that seem to survive the longest with him are:

Sqwuggie (firehose bumpers) from http://www.katiesbumpers.com/ Made from firehose...what else can I say. ;D

EGGe (hard hollow plastic egg) from http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=336&ParentCat=274 Murray pushes this thing around the pool for hours (not really hours but it seems like it sometimes). He can't get it out of the pool so he swims and swims and swims. Remember a tired Lab is a good Lab. ;) This toy can also be played with in the yard. It's unique shape keeps it going in different directions and keeps the dog entertained. Petsmart and Petco have something similar (a round ball) but Murray gets the ball spinning really fast and it burns the hair off his nose :-\ so I prefer the egg shape because of it's odd trajectory but the ball works too.

Air Kong (bumper, donut, football, etc) from Petsmart and Petco. These are more durable than a lot of toys but they can be destroyed quickly if you don't supervise them.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you SO much Karon, Nathan and Lydia....

Emma is like Murray..she is tough on all her toys. Aidan has never destroyed ONE but she has gone through wayyy too many.
I need fire hose. And that ball with the strap is great!

We have that Kong...it HAD a rope on it at one time but that seems to be her mission in life to remove the rope :-\

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
We have one of the 8"long tennis ball stick things I think it's part of the Air Kong collection of toys here are a few pictures.

(the yellow lab is my neighbors these were taken in their pool)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
blacklabelias said:
WeHeartLabs said:
There is one toy from pet smart, clear blue ball on a yellow rope- they chewed the ball and separated it from the rope.
Is that the one I gave Emma for the Secret Santa?
lol yes!! It is Sam...she absolutely LOVESSSSS it...too much! We still have the ball and Jeff filled it with styrofoam so that it will float. And it's still her favorite pool toy.

I like that long tennis ball toy...i saw them at Pet Smart and i'll have Jeffrey pick one up for us...ty :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
The long yellow tennis ball type toy is the "Air Kong". It is revered as much as their "Chuck it". We use the Air Kong as a toy and the bumpers for retrieving "work". The "air kong" does get waterlogged after awhile,just let it dry out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts