Just Labradors banner

How will you remember Michael Jackson?

• The greatest musical genius of our time

Votes: 15 20.5%
  • A depraved child molester who should have been locked up

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • A one man freak show

Votes: 22 30.1%
  • A musical genius who ruined his reputation with his "extra curricular activities"

Votes: 35 47.9%
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
How will you remember Michael Jackson? as a genius or a villan?

I made this a multi choice so you can vote for more than 1 option.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
A great musician who turned into a sad, freakish, most likely unhappy person - I don't know if he really molested kids, but he was weird enough that I certainly wouldn't have left my kids with him!

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A great musician who turned into a sad, freakish, most likely unhappy person - I don't know if he really molested kids, but he was weird enough that I certainly wouldn't have left my kids with him!
That pretty much sums up how I feel. I've gotta confess I own Thriller on vinyl & the double CD of History. Would I have bought them after knowing he had been accused of child abuse? I doubt it. :(

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
There is no doubt MJ will be remembered by many for his musical genius. With songs like Thriller & Billie Jean, how could he not.

Sadly, there are equally as many who will only remember the freak show. Between an endless stream of changing noses, progressively whiter skin, face masks for him & his children, sunglasses worn inside everywhere, dangling his children off balconies, pajama pants to court, marrying Elivs' daughter, etc.

Did he molest children, don't know, but certainly seems that way. What rational adult thinks it is perfectly normal to share a bed with children??? :eek: To echo Pat, would I leave a child of mine with him, HELL, NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!!!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I have to agree with patm also. I am going to try to remember him when I first saw him and his brothers perform on TV. What a llittle cutie and those boys all seemed so happy and thrilled to be singing on television. What happened to him over the years is beyond sad and sickening. I am sorry he has died at such a young age but I will leave the judging and judgement with the Lord. He was an amazing entertainer but I have to think the demons in his life will be one of the first things many people will remember.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I guess he was talented.......I keep hearing it so it must be true.

OJ Simpson was a good football player........so wasn't Michael Vick......He could throw deep out patterns on the run with a laser throw.....he could take over a whole game like no one else could.

But it's hard to seperate that from his actions outside of football.

I find the same thing with MJ. I find it hard to celebrate his musical talents and conveniently not think about the ridiculous way he lived his life.

Also add me to the group who would never have let him near my children whether he was convicted of molestation or not.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I have to agree with patm also. I am going to try to remember him when I first saw him and his brothers perform on TV. What a llittle cutie and those boys all seemed so happy and thrilled to be singing on television. What happened to him over the years is beyond sad and sickening. I am sorry he has died at such a young age but I will leave the judging and judgement with the Lord. He was an amazing entertainer but I have to think the demons in his life will be one of the first things many people will remember.
Poor guy, had the world by the tail and it turned around and bit him over and over. His fault, probably but in any case, now he's free from his demons.
Yep I agree. Rest in peace Michael.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I will remember Michael as the adorable boy singing "ABC" with his siblings on tv. the little boy, abused by his father, who had no childhood to speak of. So sad.

I will remember Michael as the young man singing "Ben", and 'Don't Stop Til You get Enough"

I will remember dancing in jr high to "Beat It", "Billie Jean", and countless hours spent practicing the moonwalk in my basement with my friends.

I will remember Michael as the genius behind Thriller, and being in complete awe. Also learning, and performing the zombie dance with my friends.

He was a tortured soul, this is fact. he was a tremendous artist, this is fact. He contributed greatly to our musical culture, and will be remembered forever by many as The King of pop. this is fact. He was accused of some horrendous things, this is speculation.

As I said in the other thread...

"I don't know much about the man he had become later in his life, but for all of the ways his music is woven into the soundtrack of my childhood, I pay my respects in his passing."

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Sorry, but I don't really care. Yep, he could work the music but his behaviour didn't warrant the fame he built. Personally, I think Farah lived a better life and tried to set a memorable example to be followed.

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Sorry, but I don't really care. Yep, he could work the music but his behaviour didn't warrant the fame he built. Personally, I think Farah lived a better life and tried to set a memorable example to be followed.
Nicely put Ed!

I actually just tried to make a very similar point on another thread.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
And it's not for any of you to judge who had a "better" life. as dor setting an example or being a role model MANY of todays great musical artists followed Michael's artistic example, and were inspired by him.

As for his fame being "warranted", he earned his fame through his great talent LONG before his downward spiral.

I'm not debating who was "better" that's absolutely absurd. There is but one judge. A life is a life, BOTH are losses, and I wish people would get over this childish nonsense about one death "overshadowing" another. Two great icons of our time have passed (3, really, if we are counting Ed.), it is very sad, and both deserve to be morned and remembered. no one more than the other.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
And it's not for any of you to judge who had a "better" life. as dor setting an example or being a role model MANY of todays great musical artists followed Michael's artistic example, and were inspired by him.

As for his fame being "warranted", he earned his fame through his great talent LONG before his downward spiral.

I'm not debating who was "better" that's absolutely absurd. There is but one judge. A life is a life, BOTH are losses, and I wish people would get over this childish nonsense about one death "overshadowing" another. Two great icons of our time have passed (3, really, if we are counting Ed.), it is very sad, and both deserve to be morned and remembered. no one more than the other.

That is a personal decision. You don't get to decide who other people mourn.

One I am ambivalent.....the other I guess I feel bad and the third I figure the world is a better place now that they are gone. I don't have to view them all equal and will not.

If you want to....... that is your choice....feel free to do so.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
"That is a personal decision. You don't get to decide who other people mourn."

Direct that right back at yourself. If you can spout off that he wasn't worth remembering, others have the right to disagree. Two way street. You are entitled to your opinions. We ALL are.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
"That is a personal decision. You don't get to decide who other people mourn."

Direct that right back at yourself. If you can spout off that he wasn't worth remembering, others have the right to disagree. Two way street. You are entitled to your opinions. We ALL are.
I have never told anyone who to like or dislike. I said I thought he was a molester and the planet is better off with him gone.

My opinion.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I have never told anyone who to like or dislike. I said I thought he was a molester and the planet is better off with him gone.

My opinion.
I think he was a brilliant artist and tortured soul. None of us know if he was a molester or not, but I lean towards no. I think he was set up & blackmailed. But that is my opinion.

So I disagree with you. My opinion.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts