Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This whole presidental election has really put a strain on my relationship with the rest of the family. Really only myself, my mom, and my brother are democrats/liberals/independants. I list those three cause we don't fall into one of those perfectly. I usually choose independant. But anyways the rest of the family is VERY conservative. I made the mistake of asking my grandma what she thought back in November when Obama was elected. I really wasent trying to have debate and honestly I wasent thinking. Lol my excuse was it was super early in the morning and my brain was still mush. Well oh buddy did I open up a flood gate . I refused to argue with her about it but also refused to change my views suite hers. I know I know respect your elders but im not gonna magically lose my opinion just cause im talking to my grandma.

Lol well.....since then she doesent really talk to me. Might have to do with the fact my Grandpa agreed with alot of what I said and thats a no no lol. My cousins are even more conservative and boy when they found out I supported Obama I got email after email trying to convince me I was wrong. My brother just shrugs and says he and I are the black sheep anyways not like our political views could hurt us any worse in the family .

Anyone else have completely different political views than most of your family? Lol hows that working for you?

PLEASE! Not meant to be a debate thread or offensive. Im trying to make this as light hearted as possible.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
My younger son and daughter both support Obama. We have had many arguments debates about the subject. However, none of their political views come close to causing any ill feelings. Love them too much to hold a grudge about politics!

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
My sister and her husband are very liberal, the rest of us are more conservative with leaning towards "common sense" approaches to political problems. We have exiled them to Madison ,WI.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I could really care less about who anyone else supports. Im cool with whatever other people beleive. I wish the rest of my family had that outlook. Its so tiring STILL to have people give me a hard time. Any more if my sister says anything I try to change the subject. And if that doesent work I just put my head phones on lol. Im rude what can I say? lol. Doesent help my grandparents refer to me as their liberal hippie granddaughter :laugh:.

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
I have many GREAT friends who are completely clueless and like Obama.......While we can have heated (yet friendly) discussions we also realize that 90% of our beliefs are similar and we concentrate on those rather than the few areas we differ. We love our families, we want them to be healthy and happy. We want to be safe, we want to have a good job etc.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i don't discuss my political views with my family. i smile, nod my head and change the subject. :happy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts