Just Labradors banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I did a search for this, but couldn't quite find what I was looking for...

We go up to our cottage many times in the summer months, and there are a few notorious patches of Poison Ivy....

Should I be worried about the dogs running through it? What if they eat it? (not likely, I know, but stranger things have happened!!)

I would just like to know ahead of time so I can be prepared... any ideas?? :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
Dogs aren't allergic to poison ivy but when they run through it, the PI oils get on their coats and can be transmitted to humans. If people are highly allergic to PI, petting a Lab that's been in PI, or being in any contact with the Lab can transmit the PI substance to the person.

I'd think several plunges into water and being dried off would help reduce the probablility of transmission.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,443 Posts
I agree with Bob- I haven't ever seen problems in dogs who have gotten into poison ivy, but their humans can *REALLY* get it badly, just by the dog brushing up against their bare legs or from petting them without knowing exactly where they've been. Yikes! :eek:
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top