Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi folks
I am based in Europe and this is my first post here. Id be happy if you can give me your input.

My partner and myself came across this 8 mth old yellow lab the other day and decided to adopt him. It is a friend's dog but they have not been taking good care of him. He is not housebroken, not really trained etc etc. He wouldn't listen to them at all. He was leashed most of the time in their garden. When we met him, it was a love at first sight kinda feeling and since the friend was already looking for a dog shelter to get rid of him , we decided to give him a shot.
We have already a 3 yr old malteser which is very smart and cute and we are familiar with dogs. Now my guestion is how to start off with the lab. He has been kept always in the garden and he is kinda big. Should I try to get him in a crate in the house and try to break him in gradually?or should I try this ourdoors?
I have been going thru some books etc but i wanted to get some first hand experience from you folks. We are also a bit concerned with the little maltezer so I think it has to go smootly for both but i am not sure whether i should conine the lab outside in the garden and start poo training and all that or just bring him in and go with te flow. He is a kind of big at least for out little house so I am a bit clueless.

Thanks in a advance everybody
Cheers
Mahir

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
Labs LOVE to be indoors with their family so don't keep him outside. I would crate train him. Start off like he is a 9 weeks old puppy. If you can't watch him crate him your tie him to you. Take him out about every hour-2 hours. Also make sure he gets PLENTY of exercise. this means at-least an hour or two of off-leash time and an hour walk for his age.

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
Are you going to keep the dog inside or out? If you want to potty train, bring the dog in and start like you would with a puppy. Keep high value treats on you when outside so you can praise him when he does as expected. Labs are smart, he will learn. If you want to use a crate I would start by feeding him in the crate, tossing treats in the crate, etc and make it a happy place to be. Gradually increase the time he is in the crate and be patient. I am glad you gave this poor dog a new chance.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
indoors - labs are not outdoors animals. they are family oriented and need to be with their family as much as possible (they don't do well alone).

Bring him in, and keep him under supervision. LIke a puppy - you need to prevent accidents by rewarding when he goes outside and making sure he gets out often (and watch him indoors to get him out before he goes). Crate when you cannot supervise.

Labs need lots of exercise and training. If you can have him running and playing daily (for a good 30+ minutes - two sessions is even better, and longer is better!) that will help. a tired dog is a good dog ! But then you need to work on training, again, start from scratch.

You may need to leave a leash on him in the house to help with training (possibly tether him to you - if this won't cause any injuries!)

it is going to take patience and commitment (work) to get this pup where he should be - this can be a hard age even with a puppy that was trained from day 1. But it IS DOABLE! abit more of a time investment now an then you'll be laughing in a year and enjoying a great family pet.

If there are any obedience classes near you sign up ASAP!

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
i agree with the indoors routine and a crate. just start out as if he's a young pup. they're smart, and want to please their owners. get him on a schedule and i 'd bet in no time at all, he's gonna be a great dog.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
oh oh - expect accidents at first. get a product that is made to remove urine odour (nature's miracle, vinegar) as household products don't work well enough to remove the odour (to a dog's nose) and if the dog smells urine there he will be encouraged to pee again.

As bett said, routine helps. The more they can predict what the routine is the quicker they adapt :D

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
If you go to youtube there are videos on potty training that might be helpful. I would start with basic commands. Teach him to sit, lay down, speak etc. Use treats and you'll be surprized how fast he learns. Take him out to potty. Use the same door and the same command each time you take him out. Leash him and take him to the same spot each time, and use the same command. Be sure to praise him when he goes. As far as keeping him outside all the time: No. Labs are family oriented and need their people. They like to play outside and come in when they are tired. Our Sophie will play outside and come in to nap or play some more. She is 11 months and she can now go out when she wants to. Be sure to talk to your dog. I swear, we talk to Sophie all the time and she understands so much of what we say. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :welcome:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you go to youtube there are videos on potty training that might be helpful. I would start with basic commands. Teach him to sit, lay down, speak etc. Use treats and you'll be surprized how fast he learns. Take him out to potty. Use the same door and the same command each time you take him out. Leash him and take him to the same spot each time, and use the same command. Be sure to praise him when he goes. As far as keeping him outside all the time: No. Labs are family oriented and need their people. They like to play outside and come in when they are tired. Our Sophie will play outside and come in to nap or play some more. She is 11 months and she can now go out when she wants to. Be sure to talk to your dog. I swear, we talk to Sophie all the time and she understands so much of what we say. Good luck and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
Hi People

Thanks very much for your generous comments. It is very heartening for us to read thos words. It seems that I need to find a big crate for him and bring him in right up. We are both working so int he beginning he has to bear with our little malteser, which I hope will not be a big problem..
Thanks again- will keep you all in the loop

Cheers

M.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Labs LOVE to be indoors with their family so don't keep him outside. I would crate train him. Start off like he is a 9 weeks old puppy. If you can't watch him crate him your tie him to you. Take him out about every hour-2 hours. Also make sure he gets PLENTY of exercise. this means at-least an hour or two of off-leash time and an hour walk for his age.
Agreed

1 - 9 of 9 Posts