Just Labradors banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please recommend one or two training books. We are of course interested in basic obedience as well as basic gun dog/retriever training. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
yup, 10 minute retriever is good
Smartworks and Smartfetch by Evan Graham have a following also.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
If you are new to fieldwork and plan to do force fetching and/or use the e-collar, my suggestion would be to learn from a pro, not a book. You may already be doing this, and if so, my apologies, but any aversive-oriented training program can have unpleasant side-effects if you don't structure it properly and work hard to keep the dog's desire and enthusiasm high. It's an art as much as a science, and your best bet for learning it properly is from someone you trust. Are you working with a club?

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theoconbrio said:
If you are new to fieldwork and plan to do force fetching and/or use the e-collar, my suggestion would be to learn from a pro, not a book. You may already be doing this, and if so, my apologies, but any aversive-oriented training program can have unpleasant side-effects if you don't structure it properly and work hard to keep the dog's desire and enthusiasm high. It's an art as much as a science, and your best bet for learning it properly is from someone you trust. Are you working with a club?
New to fieldwork as far as labs. We had an English Setter for 14 years who DH hunted upland birds with just as a hobby. Never have done any tests, formal work, etc. with dogs. We live in a rural area so we may need to do some leg work in looking up a trainer, but it is a point well-taken. I am sure we need to be trained as much as the dog. Thanks.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
For general obedience training, I recommend Jean Donaldson's "Culture Clash."

It follows the basic principles of learning theory (theory as in the "theory of gravity" -- not just a supposition or hypothesis; rather, you'd better bank on it.)

For training in hunting skills, I suggest you ask on this JL sub-board:

http://www.justlabradors.com/forum/index.php/board,11.0.html

·
Registered
38 Posts
I say waterdog. I know some people would rather use them as beer holders... put Thank god everyone has opionions! I have a 8 month old that is doing great.

Darin has some top notch Lab's and here's a link to his ideas!

www.mclabstrainingsupplies.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts