Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night at agility class, a vet, who is a fellow agility student was telling us about a case she had this week. The dog ate a child's teddy bear and was very sick. When she opened the dog up to remove what she thought was an intestinal obstruction she found a huge gelatin type mess inside and the dogs intestines were black and the tissue dead. The dog will die no surgery can fix him up there was no living intestine left from stomach to colon.

This was not an obstruction. .... so she called the manufacturer of the Teddy Bear on a quest to find out what the gel was and what killed the dog. Turns out the stuffing in children's toys contains ingredients for flame retardants and mite control! It is designed to be come a gel. It is highly toxic. Now you would think a child's toy would be safe because it is for children, but they don't expect a child to eat the stuffing of the toys... huummmm that seems a bit scary too. But we all know dogs demolish stuffed toys.

So do not give or buy your dog any children's stuffed animals... some people get them at goodwill etc. The vet will be posting a warning and story and I will send any other facts as needed and as I learn more. Maybe some children's toys do not have this ingredient, but better to be safe then sorry. So meanwhile, make sure all your dog toys are for dogs. Please pass this on... it is a horrible death she described and one that can be avoided.
I didn't know this, not that we give Angus stuffies anyway, but it's great information.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You are welcome, I didn't snope it though, someone else did. fact is, no one knows what else may have contributed to the dog's condition, but one thing they know for SURE was the teddy bear. I have friends who give kids' stuffies to their dogs all the time, so hopefully it will serve as a caution. Dog toys only, for dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
Good to know, thanks. My guys get stuffies occasionally, if my pet store has them on sale. They're made for dogs though.


I hope....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've given one on occasion to Angus, but only when I have been directly supervising. He loves them, but totally destroys them. I take them at the first sign of stuffing escaping (which is usually 30 min or so after he gets it :/ )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44,122 Posts
...and why do they have to put those stupid squeakers in them?! They're so dangerous!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,348 Posts
Wow interesting information for sure. I've always bought Buck's stuffies from Toys R Us, they are the only ones he likes, the larger softy ones. He has prolly 20 or so but he never distroys them. He's carried them around for years and they have been machine washed and dried a million times so i am wondering what causes the material to turn to gel?? I would think that washing and drying them would change the material if that is the case. Good safety info tho.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,573 Posts
I can see how dangerous it can be when you have kids and your dog helps himself to their toys.

I only buy de-stuffed animals for Dex. Some of the de-stuffed animals have squeakers in their heads which I'll often just remove. Kong makes de-stuffed toys and the squeaker comes in a separate pouch which is removable. We have a really nice independant pet store/school for dogs nearby. They sell some really neat things. We recently bought a large de-stuffed rabbit which is extremely well put together. It is so tuff I'll even play tug of war with Dex with it sometimes. :biggrin1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,727 Posts
My SIL vet has told me that obstructions from toys have bought her stable and several horses there.......LOL

She has us under strict orders to never give our dogs toys that can be chewed up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,664 Posts
Tennis balls and Soccer balls are the only toys my two get. They love these and will not destroy them.

We have ranked most toys using the "Seconds" scale. The average life span of a stuffed dog toy is 15 seconds. If there is a squeaker 7 seconds. A ballistic nylon ball with a rope through it lasted all of one hour. Kongs last the longest(but they have no interest in them) as well as Airdog floating retrieving dummies (which are used on the water only). I haven't seen too many toys that can withstand what my two will do. I gave up buying toys.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,362 Posts
I have always given the dogs "pet" stuffies, never children stuffies because of the button eyes and plastic noses all the kids toys come with. Remy just rips them apart, but Brooklyn would always eat the stuffing. That is so scary.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,130 Posts
Zoe doesn't get stuffed toys. She makes thme an autopsy in about 5 minutes. I am surprised she hasn't taken one of Makenna's and destroyed. Her favorite toy to destroy was wooden blocks. I think we have 1 left.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top