Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We were outside and Ernie was having a great time retrieving in the water and doing a little swimming. When we were heading back into the house I tossed the ball one more time on the lawn but instead of coming back with the ball he found either a paper towel or a kleenex...with last weekend storm and wind our yard is a mess between what the tide dragged in and the wind blew in. I thought I had picked up most of the yard but missed this.

Anyway before I could get him to come back to me he swallowed the entire thing. What should I do?? Do I bring him to the vet or see if he will poop it out. He doesn't seem in any distress but I sure am. This is about the time we feed him dinner but I am afraid to let him eat or drink anything. Any one have any advice?????

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
IMO he should be totally fine. His stomach acid should take care of that kleenex/paper towel no problem. Any one ese agree? disagree?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Kleenex? He should be fine- remember what happens to kleenex or paper towel in water, right? It gets all soft and mushy, so it shouldn't cause any issues.

Just go about your normal routine- Gabby has eaten much weirder stuff in the care of my brother (I found out later) - a latex "balloon," a sock, etc- and it all came out the other end just fine.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I think he will be fine also. Just make sure he is eating, drinking, pooping, acting normally.
Aidan is a champion paper towel shredder ::)

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Tissues have always been a staple of Taffy's diet. ::) I have never been able to break her of the habit of retriving disgusting tissues from the trash. Never had a digestive problem as a result. I'm sure Ernie will be fine.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I started to let him have a little water when we first came in then I just pictured the tissue getting all wet and causing an obstruction! Just a nervous mom ;) I will feed him now and just keep a eye on him when he goes potty.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh no, nothing at all to worry about! :)

Funny story:

When Angus was a puppy, just a wee baby, we were keeping him in a sort of pen with one end covered in newspapers.

But Kevin kept taking the newspapers out, and at the end of the day there would be none left. This went on for several days before I finally broke down and asked him, "Exactly why are you taking the newspaper out of Angus' pen?"

You know the answer: "I'm not taking them out! I thought you were!"

:D

That explained a LOT. Angus' bowel movements had been very, very dark, almost black. Newsprint! ::)

He survived. :p And we got rid of the newspaper.

·
Registered
9,926 Posts
Taffys Mom said:
Tissues have always been a staple of Taffy's diet. ::) I have never been able to break her of the habit of retriving disgusting tissues from the trash. Never had a digestive problem as a result. I'm sure Ernie will be fine.
Same with Ernie. Rolls of bathroom paper, cardboard boxes, anything paper fresh or used. yuck.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Brigetta eats paper all the time. You can't leave a napkin or paper towel any where she can get to it. She's pretty good with the "leave it" command, but I swear when she has a piece of paper and I say "leave it", she starts eating it faster!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts