Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have a 4 year old black lab who keeps pulling out his fur on his back end. He seems to be pulling out chunks of fur and his flanks.... on both sides !

This has been going on for awhile.. the first time we took him to the vets and they squeezed his anal glands to empty them. The vet said sometimes it can irritate them if they can't quite reach round to the bum. Then the next time... the anal glands were empty so the Vet took some scrappings but nothing was found.

He seems to leave it alone for awhile and the fur grows back and then starts all over again.. this time it seems worse then ever. The skin underneath does not seem red or inflamed and he rarely chews this area when we are around.

I am getting really concerned that it is stress related as whenever we return from being out it's wet where he's been chewing.

What can we do about this as I can't stay in the house with him at all times (the longest we leave him is 4 hours) and he hates being in the car !

Would really appreciate any comments as I am so worried about him !
Thanks

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
You should consider a dermatologist and if that does not pan out, this is behavioral. At the least he should have a cone on when you cannot supervise him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts