Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
**Update 2**
Well I've got my water works going again.

I just got another call from the actual owner of the dog. I started crying the moment she began talking to me as she was crying too. She had only been home for about a half hour and called to thank me for being her dogs angel today :'( She said she wasn't sure how old he was but that she had been his owner for about 11 years and that he was probably around 12 or 13, his name was Baby. He seemed so young when I first looked at him.

She told me it was good to know that there are still kind, caring people in this world and thanked me again for being Baby's angel today. Just as the DIL had said she wanted to reward me for being such a saint, and I told her no thank you but that I would hope she would do the same if she were in my situation or if she found a stray someday and she said that was fair enough. I talked to her for about 10 minutes and she bawled the entire time. She said that she didn't understand why somebody would just hit him and leave, I told her that I didn't understand it either.

The thing that bothered me most about the conversation was that she wanted to know if he was in any pain when he died. I told her that when I saw him he looked like he was peacefully sleeping, and that I'm sure he didn't suffer. I really didn't know what to say to that and she asked a few times. :'(

I'm glad that I was able to help her with some form of closure though. I would hate to think that if nobody had called she would have gone on for the rest of her life never knowing what happned to her "Baby"

Godspeed Baby, run free up in heaven and say hello to my Casey boy for me :angel:

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

My gosh that was one of the hardest things I had ever done
:'(

I just got a phone call back from the daughter-in-law of the people who owned the dog. She is house sitting while they are out of town, and he got out of the yard last night. She said she looked for him for hours last night and started to make up signs this morning. He was about 7 or 8 years old. She also told me that animal control called and told her they would pick him up, but not where they could find him :( I gave her the AC number that I had and also told her the location where I found him.

She kept saying thank you to me over and over and how much it meant to her that I was nice enough to call. She also said that she's sure his owners will stand by the fact that they will give a reward to the person who found him, but I don't want anything in return just for them to have peace :( If they insist I will tell them to donate whatever reward they would give to a lab rescue.

I forgot to ask his name but if you could keep a good thought for his family or send some prayers it would mean a lot.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I was driving home from work about 20 minutes ago and a block away from my house there was a dead dog in the middle of the street. Me being (a. completely insane for getting out of my car on a 40mph road and b. extremely upset) got out of the car and moved the dog up onto the grass median (i happen to have rubber gloves in my car in my first aid kit). He had a collar on that said REWARD and it had his address and phone #. I called the number but nobody answered so I left a message that said "Hi, my name is Stacey R***** and my phone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx. I would really appreciate it if you called me back when you get this message"...I didn't just want to blurt out on their answering machine that I found their dog in the middle of the road.

Now my question is what do I say if/when they call me back? I'm going to try again later as well around 5 or 6 when people are getting home from work. If they don't call back who would I call to have him picked up? SPCA? Animal Control?

Gosh I feel so bad :( He looked so young and he was definitely well cared for :'(

Godspeed puppy dog :angel:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Re: Please help...how do you tell somebody you found their dead dog?

I think you would need to put in a call to aniaml control so they can remove the dog. So sorry that ou have to go through this :(

·
Registered
4,369 Posts

Oh my, how sad. I think I would just tell them that you spotted a dog in the road at where ever - that you stopped to see if you could do anything to help the dog, but it was too late. that you read the tag and got their information. Tell them how sorry you are and that you would have helped their dog if it had not been too late. I think they would appreciate the call and that is about all you can do. How very very sad.

G

·

I agree that you should call animal control. They will notify the owner. :(

·
Registered
4,020 Posts

Thanks Stacey for taking the time to pull that poor baby to a safe spot! I have no answers on what to say.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm still crying :'(....where I found him was only 1 block from my house and the address listed on his tag is about 1/2 mile or a mile away.

I was thinking of saying something along the lines of "I'm really sorry to have to tell you this, but I found your dog today when I was on my way home from work,on Northern Pkwy in front of the church. I know if it was one of my girls I would want somebody to call me, and I'm very sorry for your loss"

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I called animal control and they said they may be able to pick him up tomorrow but they may not get to him until wednesday :eek: That's just insane!!!!!

I might go up and put something over the poor baby :( I don't want to have to see him lying there again since anywhere I would go between today and tomorrow I'd have to go home that way.

G

·

We just found a calico kitty in the road over the weekend. Did the same thing. (left similiar message) No call back yet. I wanted to offer them my new little evil calico kitten that was given to me a few weeks ago by my husbands son. She's a sweet kitten, but a Big Pain!

Poor doggie.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts

:'(
You're a good kid, Stace.

What about the a$$hole that hit the dog and just left it there?! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,113 Posts

Oh, that is really sad. Super nice of you to stop and move him from the road and to call them. I cannot believe animal control won't show up for a day or two. Geez.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts

I think what you said up above would be fine to say to them. I'd want to know if it were one of mine.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

labby said:
I think what you said up above would be fine to say to them. I'd want to know if it were one of mine.
That's what made me call. If it were one of mine I would sure hope somebody would have the decency to call.

Apparently whomever hit the dog didn't even see fit to move him out of the road :(

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

I agree that what you said up above seems very appropriate. God bless you for taking care of this fellow ... :'(

·
Registered
2,653 Posts

Hopefully, they'll call you back and want to know where their puppy is- and they'll go get him... :(

·
Registered
2,031 Posts

awww how sad..
when I was in Boston the local street cleaning/public works dept would come by & pick up dead animals -- the animal control was only good for live animal problems

perhaps you can call the police & ask them who picks up dead animals in the road?
if they tell you animal control - ask why they';re leaving it out there so long
and when they do - where do they bring the animal?

·
Registered
8,752 Posts

Oh Stacy! :(

That's horrible.

I think what you said above would be good... I sure would want to know if it were Henery.

Godspeed sweet pup. :'(

1 - 20 of 53 Posts