Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just a continuation from the thread on the other site...

She is now about 14weeks old..any more critiques are welcome...thanks:

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I wasn't part of the other thread, but thanks for getting this section started on the "new" forum.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Well, her rear has improved vastly since the last pic. Not sure where that second thigh came from, but there it is any how.
She is bodying up well, pleasing outline, good coat it seems. Would still like to see a better upper arm and front assembly and she could use more stop but the head might change. Now is not the time to look at her topline, she is a baby and starting to go downhill.

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
I agree with Dana. She looks like a totally different puppy. Give her a chance to grow up. Her topline isn't the best right now, but it can be a growth thing.

Second thigh

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is a second thigh a good or a bad thing?...I can see it, I just dont know what it means..

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I was always taught that this was the second thigh. Hence, your girl's is a little long

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I suppose I could have been more precise in my comment!! I think normally when lab people talk about second thigh, we talk about the amount of muscling in that area and that is what I was referring to.
The thigh is the area from the hip to the stifle (knee) just the same as in humans. Second thigh is the area between the stifle and the hock, the same as the calf in humans.
I don't see that she is long in second thigh; a labrador should be well let down at the hocks. This puppy has good muscling in both the thigh and second thigh, something we strive for in the breed.

Compare this to a boxer who has a much longer second thigh and certainly less muscling in both the thigh and second thigh

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for clearing that up FR....makes perfect sense. Im in the process of finding out how soon we can get her registered for shows and when her first one will be. Hopefully in the coming weeks. Will keep you all posted and thanks for your feedback!

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of a dog without a second thigh, to help compare? I'm new to this and having trouble seeing it, even with Fall River's diagram (although it did help me a ton).

Don't mean to steal the thread....

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Unless somebody offers their own dog up, we can't really post somebody else's dog and then point out his faults :D
I would look at the 8 week picture of the puppy in this thread and compare it to the current picture and you will see a huge difference in the second thigh muscling

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
Are there any breeds that don't have second thighs Dana?

I don't think Baloo had much of one at all at 8 weeks: ;)

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Haha, good point Dana, didn't think about that! I will certainly check out the pictures!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Every dog has second thigh, just like every one of us has hamstring muscles. Some of us just have more developed hamstrings than others and in general, well developed hamstrings indicated good muscle balance and better joint function. For example, people who have weak hamstrings have a higher incidence of cruciate tears and of patellar issues.
I think Baloo has cute little buns there and that would be a puppy where I might expect very decent second thigh development.
Here are two littermates. At the moment, the ***** has better second thigh than the dog. If you can't tell the ***** from the dog, then we really need a lesson in anatomy :D:p

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
He does have one now Dana, but I don't see it at all in that pic of him as a baby. there doesn't seem to be any definition there at all. :)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
She had her first show, and got Baby Puppy of Breed Open Class, Baby Puppy of Group Open Class and Baby Puppy of Breed Champion Class. We're very happy with her!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts