Just Labradors banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my friend from the club came over and we all went to the lake: Me, Kevin, Simon, Anna and Willie. Willie is an Irish Wolfhound. The first thing people say: "Wow...that's a REALLY big dog!" :D

It was...interesting.

First of all, we didn't take Angus because he and Willie have both had scary experiences with other dogs. They both tend to be a little skitty. Two skitties are not such a good idea, we decided. So I thought we should take Mr. Reliable. ;) Simon is also (usually) better about dropping everything for a recall, and I was a bit worried that a hound might wander off leash, and Simon might follow. I'd have a better chance of getting him back.

So anyway, we get down there hoping the two would play with each other and wear each other out. This was Simon:

Jump jump bark bark bark throw the bumper pant pant throw it throw it throw it THROW IT!

Poor Willie didn't really have much of a playmate with Simon, I'm afraid. :-\

We were curious to see if Willie would swim. He did not, but he did get his feet wet, which pleased Anna. :) It reminded me of Crash. We took him to the lake a couple of times, he splashed a bit and was like, "OK, I'm done."

Willie is not neutered, as she shows him in conformation. Man! Do all un-neutered males mark like every three steps? :eek: Holy cow! He even peed on the RED BAG! :eek: Anna was horrified. I dipped it into the lake...and then remembered that I had photos and copies of their records in the pocket. Oops! But guess what? Not a drop of water got through. :police: I cannot recommend the Outward Hound gear bag highly enough. ;)

We decided to do some stays while we were there. That was fun. :) Simon was having a little trouble with the down stay, though. He kept rolling on his back in the grass. I just said, "OK, we just won't show him outside." :D

All in all a pretty fun day. Anna said she would come over and meet us there again, maybe some night after work. It would be a good place to practice. :)

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
Sounds like a good time was had by all!

Now, where are the pics?!?!

·
Registered
746 Posts
Sounds like a good day. I have always liked the Wolfhounds but never actually met one. They seem like they would be pretty calm and friendly dogs.

What lake did you go to? I know you are in the Nashville area and was just curious since my in-laws live in Gallatin and I often fish Old Hickory Lake when we are down there. I haven't taken Kody there yet though. We are going down there in July this year and I am sure Kody is going to need some swimming time knowing the heat of TN summers. :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
yes! WHERE are the pics! Simon is such a good boy.

I love love love my outward hound bag too....can't say enough good things about it. And we use their portable bowls all of the time too.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
That sure sounds like a fun way to spend the afternoon.

Buddy is the same way as Simon - he is all about the tennis ball and couldn't care less about the other dogs. I have given up - he's a workaholic. No playtime for him when there's a ball to retrieve!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts